Flashing Lights on Control Panel

Last night, I went to start my dishwasher. I pressed the Start button before noticing that I was on "Pots and Pans" instead of "Normal". I immediately pressed the "Cancel" button in order to change the cycle. I heard the drain cycle start and finish, then I saw the "Normal" button flashing. I could not select any other cycle, and got no reaction when pressing "Start". I pressed the "Cancel" button again, but it just started flashing as well as the "Normal" button. At this point, I flipped the circuit breaker off, counted to 10, and flipped it back on. This made the "Cancel" button stop flashing, but the "Normal" button kept flashing. I then checked the interior to make sure that the overfill cover moved freely, that the sprayers could all turn freely, and that the filters were clear. No change. I tried the reset procedures found elsewhere in this forum (alternately pressing "Heated Dry" and "Normal"; pressing any three buttons in sequence three times; and pressing and holding various buttons for three seconds each) with no success. The trouble shooting guide from Whirlpool does not address anything associated with flashing lights. I've left the door open and unlatched for 12 hours now with no change. Any suggestions that don't involve calling a repairman?

What everyone fails to tell you in these answers is....1. You can't reset it if the lights are on. Each time you hit the normal and heated dry, and it doesn't work, you're sending a signal to the control board to make another selection. Wait until all the lights are off, with the door open, press the "Normal" button, then "Heated Dry, and then do it again. Shut the door and all the lights will come on at once. It's reset then. Don't try and reset it with the "Pots and Pans" light on, just leave the door open and wait for the lights to go off. This means the control board has finished running through all the buttons that were pushed and it's waiting for a new signal.

Well after replacing parts and doing the reset of normal / heat dry thing now my dishwasher lights come on but the start and resume light flashes what could be problem and how to fix please anyone

Kay Joiner- Thank you!! Your answer was perfect- the tool I needed most was PATIENCE. I had tried the Heated Dry/Normal combo so many times

I have tried everything to reset the washer. took the board and unplugged it from the inside . nothing...still flashin lights "normal and cancel" HELP

What if it's the heated dry button itself that's flashing? I've tried everything. Even replaced the control board

meadbrewer try to reset your dishwasher. To reset it, you will have to have the door open. It can not be latched. Press "Heated Dry," "Normal," "Heated Dry," "Normal" within three seconds of the first pressed button. Now close the door, this should reset your dishwasher. Hope this helps, good luck

Tried that. Also tried clicking the circuit breaker off for a few minutes. Neither worked.

Ever figure out what was wrong? Mine is doing the same thing.

Is a here a resolution to blinking normal light yet? We've tried resets, stopping power for at least 1 minute. Any sure-fire answers? Thanks to all!

The reset made absolutely no change in mine.

I tried holding down the "normal" button while the door was open and, once released, it allowed me to start it up again.

But it will only get through the washing cycle. At some point during or after the washing cycle, but before the drying it stops and starts flashing under "normal" again.

Is it dead? Is it trying to tell me something is wrong with a component in the dry cycle?

Please help!

You've absolutely got to wait until the Pots & Pans/Normal lights go off and this will only happen with the door closed. Lights off, open the door, press normal/heated dry/normal/heated dry. Shut door, all lights will blink and then it's back to normal. If not, and you keep pressing buttons, it's going to take that much longer to reset.

I am so grateful for this ifixit chain on fixing dishwasher flashing lights!!! I fixed something for the first time in my life, thanks to all your posts. It seemed not to work, but thanks to Sally King, I just kept repeating. For me the sequence was: With my left hand extended to the max, hit red circuit breaker tab on the wall, which shut panel lights for about one second; instantly hit the Heated Dry button with my maximally extended right hand already hovered in place; quickly hit Normal button, then Heated Dry again and Normal again; close door. The Normal button still blinked; so I opened the door and repeated the circuit breaker-Heated Dry-Normal-Heated Dry-Normal-close door operation quite a few times. Eventually I got a full light panel display; but the Normal button immediately resumed blinking. So back to the routine, with a bit of hope. Then I got a Resume Wash, which I hit. The washer went to work; but defaulted to blinking Normal in half a minute. This happened several times. And I went back to the circuit breaker-Heated Dry-Normal-Heated Dry-Normal-close door routine. The dishwasher started up in different cycles several times, again defaulting to the blinking Normal. But it finally caught in a cycle and completed the cycle. I then ran a full cycle wash with no problems. Hallelujah!! We don’t have to call a repairman or buy a new dishwasher, thanks to y’all.

I went trough the same troubles and nothing was helping. Eventually, like for the bestresumps, the problem was solved. I gave a little thought to the reasons why the process was that chaotic and came to the following conclusions:

In the instructions, the reset steps were not quite clear. Specifically, it is not quite clear if you have to press Normal while still holding Heated dry. I think that I did that but I did that by accident trying to run the reset procedure within 3 secs , a recommendation I saw somewhere in all the responses. So, I would try both cases - to fit reset sequence in 3 secs and, if it doesn't help, doing pressing Normal while Heated dry is still pressed.

My start/resume light kept flashing and after doing the reset sequence about 5 times, unplugging in between, then cancel/resume button. Normal and heated dry buttons pressed it would start flashing again. After opening/closing. Cancel. Normal. Cancel. Normal. Cancel. Opening in between each time it finally started working. Thank you!!

What finally worked for me was that I pressed the suggested button sequence immediately after I plugged the power back on. I repeated the sequence several times while the dishwasher was plugged in, and it just wouldn’t work.

Try disconnecting power, and within a second of powering the dishwasher follow the reset sequence the others have described. Good luck!

This worked for me, thank you so much!

I also tried all of the previous reset solutions, circuit breaker trick, door opened/door closed and nothing really worked. I found another solution on another forum from a dishwasher repairman who said it is likely the touch control panel that needs to be replaced. My dishwasher is almost 15 years old so I replaced the touch control panel and that fixed my problem. It can also be the control board that the control panel plugs into as well. If you’ve tried all of the other solutions, and made sure your dishwasher is not in-between cycles, try replacing your touch panel, then the control board. It’s more like the touch panel as that gets a lot of wear and tear. The control board is 100% solid state so it’s less likely to be the problem, unless you get frequent power surges in your electrical lines. But that would do more damage than a blinking Normal light - just say’n ….

There doesn’t appear to be any electronics in the touch panel, so how did that fix a blinking light issue? Are there electronics in there? My dishwasher DOES work, but the lights are crazy, like the drying light is on when dishwasher just started filling and washing, or all 3 delay buttons are lit. I can’t turn off the heated dry button, and I can’t do a delay wash. I do have a new control panel in hand. Just wasn’t sure that would fix it. And once I install it, if it doesn’t work, I can’t return it. Any advice?

Pots n pans flashing , normal flashing... before that 4 hour delay was flashing, have door closed and awaiting flashing to stop to start reset process. What a pain . Any updates advice greatly appreciated

You're right there are no electronics in the touch control. It is a bubble control in that when you push a "button" you are closing the gap between the front of the panel to touch the back of the panel which closed the circuit and sends a signal to the main board. That is why the control panel is usually the problem. The "bubble" collapse which makes the front touch the back which then sends a confusing signal to the main board. Hope this helped.

I have a quiet I partner dishwasher the clean light flashes 7 times pauses an repeats 7 times please help me it’s not worked I. Almost a month I got a heating element coming tomorrow and I’m hoeing that will fix my problem but does anyone else have any suggestions on what I can do!!

I have the same problem exactly

I dont have a normal

Turn off the power. Open the dishwasher, take out the top 6 screws. The top control panel should pull away from the dishwasher. Pop off the plastic cover inside to expose the circuit board. Disconnect the 14 or 16 pin ribbon cable. Turn the power on. With the power on, carefully reconnect the ribbon cable. Reassemble your dishwasher. This worked for me!

meadbrewer will be eternally grateful.