Microsoft's third-generation Xbox game console, released November 22, 2013.

Why won't my console sync button work?

Over time my sync button on the left side if my console worked but now it's gone. When I press the button on the left side it makes a ding noise but the console symbol suppose to blink indicates in trying to sync. My controllers work when I press it but not the console button. I have to play with my controllers wired but I really need help with this to have it fixed. I tried hard reset and everything so I assume its an issue inside the console.

whats a soft power down

Wow! I read this wrong by the slightest bit, tried it again but this time unplugged the usb from the Xbox as well, even tho it’s a loose chord I didn’t understand that it needed to be removed

ty this worked the controller i bought from gamestop has a broken syc button thought i was gonna have to drive 29 miles to return it so much for the tested sticker n the package

Even if the sync button never works again, plug the controller in using an android charging cable if you don't have the one specifically for the xbox. Once its plugged in, turn controller on and press the controllers sync button. The controller will sync to the xbox. Then unplug the controller and you'll be good to go. Just went through this nonsense 5min ago. I had to do it again once powering off the Xbox and turning it back on but small price to pay.

Thank you bro you're a lifesaver!!!!

Skip the upgrade.

Take $10 off $50 with
SKIPANDSAVE10

Save Now

Skip the upgrade.

Take $10 off $50 with
SKIPANDSAVE10

Save Now

Hard reset your Xbox. (Hold the power button until it shuts off.)

lol its been acting up for awhile and I came I saw and I fixed lol in like 2 seconds

lmaoo I feel slow thank you tho bro

thank you but now I feel really stuped

thanks i was having this problem to

Thanks so much I was struggling for ages with this but you helped me so thanks!!!

Thanks that was just needed it just happed to me but now it's back on and had usb to remote and they sync

Most Helpful Answer

1. Plug Controller in USB.

2. Hold Power Button for 10 seconds.

3. Unplug the Power Cord for 10 seconds.

4. Plug Power Cord back in to Xbox.

5. Power On Xbox Press Power Button on Console.

6. Soft Power down Xbox Press Button once.

7. Disconnect USB from Xbox and Controller.

8. Power on Xbox with Controller.

You're Welcome. Enjoy!

This didn’t work for me

Thank you! It worked

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!This actually worked

I did all of this but on step 8, the controller just kept blinking and the xbox didnt power back on

Ayyy you saved me I thought I might have fried my console because of a power out. Time to get a surge protector I guess I don't need anymore of these scares!

So i have been having this issue, also.

I tried everything that everyone else has suggested, but it wouldn't fix the problem.

But I realized that I always have my chat mixer hooked up to my controller that has been synced to my system for weeks now. I unplugged the chat mixer and it automatically connected to my console lol maybe try that if your using a 3rd party headset.

Lemme know if that helps

Sometimes having a USB cable connected causes this try disconnecting it then

HEY EVERYBODY,UNSOLVABLE PROBLEM???

So ill get right to it. My last controller broke(semi, dog ate the RB button up). So I bought a new one today and I found that my sync button (ON THE XBOX) does not work. I try pressing it, no blinking at all. I have tried with an USB, nothing happens. I have tried both hard and soft restart, I have tried wiping it (without games) as well. Basically everything you can do. The controller I have ( the damaged one) DOES work with it. It is actually functioning. But It just won't accept a new controller into the system. Is there a way to pass around this? Please help me <3 !!!!

i just bought my controller too the same thing happened i need help aswell

Did you get it fixed?

Could be ribbon cable, RF board or WiFi board.

If holding the power button for 10 seconds to shut it down and clear the cache doesn't work it's probably a hardware issue.

Have you unplugged it for 30 seconds?

Also can you connect to WiFi?

Sorry I hadn't been following this post more closely. Many times the WiFi/Bluetooth board stops working. WiFi modules are pretty cheap on Amazon and eBay. They are very easy to replace. Can't sync if the xbox can't see the controller.

My sync button doesn't work at all. When press it doesn't click just pushes right in. I can't even connect a controller via USB cable its like the whole sync system is broke. Will a replacement ribbon fix this or will it be something else. I really need help as can't play my Xbox and I can't find any info anywhere. Thanks in advance

Kay

Could be hardware problem in the Xbox. Have you tried hard reset, or resetting to factory saving all your files? Please let me know if you got it to work and if so what you did to get it fixed. Thanks

Yeah iv tried all that. Literally everything. I just left it a while and it started to work again. The xbox still clicks randomly and flashes. And the sync button on the side doesn't work at all. But managed get USB lead work. Will just put up with it until new Xbox is out. Thank you for your reply and your help. Much appreciated.

So weird this worked.. Think ultimately my rechargeable batteries are going to junk cause my controllers keep disconnecting and reconnecting.. This helps me narrow it down as I couldn't try a reconnect of the controllers because the box wouldn't search for controllers.. Thank you very much.. Very odd sequence.. Highly didn't expect that'd work..

This is something that hardly ever happens but I had one come into my shop that had been dropped on its back from just a few inches up and the plate that slides in behind the sink button had slid back to where the little nipple on the plate had moved just enough to where it wasn't behind the button. Long shot but it's a possibility for those of you who have the problem with the sink button not working.

Are you sure your not pressing disk eject button? When pressing the disk eject button with no disk in the console makes a ding sound. The controller sync button is located below the power button.

Sync button is only under the power button on the Xbox One S.

That solved my problem. LOL I feel like a dummy. haha!

You guys can skip all the steps here, because all you want to do is Hard Reset.

1. Wake up your xbox by pressing the power button on the console (xbox logo)

2. Hold the power button on the console (xbox logo) for 10 seconds, or until the console makes an audible and visible shutoff.

3. Turn the xbox one back on.

Done. No messing with power cables, no fiddling with the actual controller itself. All you need to do is follow these steps in order to Hard Reset the console.

^ Negative ghost rider. Had to unplug the controller cable from the side before it would detect. (detected immediately after that)

Also if you have took the cover off the left side and removed the black peace from behind it try doing it agian blow in the console and put it back it worked for me and it is very simple just look up how to open up Xbox And the first 20 second of The video should show u no tools required or very much skill a 8 year old could do it and I tried all of these but none worked until this

Just unplug the Xbox cord and plug it back in with the controller connected to the Xbox with a Android cord

Alright, if doing a hard reset, pulling the sync button back a lil bit doesn’t work then I have a solution ( it worked for me) lets begin.

1. open your xbox shell ( Follow this: https://youtu.be/bF1V1QiB17c tutorial up to 5:35
  2. Reseat the ribbon cable (remove it then reinstall it — i found this video extremely useful https://youtu.be/ghcWusCrh30.
  3. close your xbox shell
  4. Just a tip - before closing your xbox shell test that the power button, eject disk and sync are working. https://youtu.be/bF1V1QiB17c Follow this guy from around 40:00 onwards ( he also reinstalls the ribbon cable here I just thought if the other video was not proving useful you can try his ‘method’ or style.

I tried all of these and nothing worked:

1) charge batteries

2) hard reset

3) cable attached

4) holding the controller cack handed - the lot

I then removed ALL cables from the console apart form power and did another hard reset - hey presto, the controllers all synchronised first time!

Maybe this is the last resort before you bite the bullet and send it in for repair!!!

Hopefully this helps someone who gets stuck and nothing else works!

Jeremy will be eternally grateful.