Google-branded tablet with a 7" screen. The device needs only prying tools and screwdrivers to fix.

Why does my tablet keep shutting itself off?

My Nexus 7 has been having a problem the past couple of days where after I turn it on, it will run for a few minutes, and then it will freeze and the screen will go black, showing up with the google reboot screen a few seconds later. If I leave it completely alone, it will stay on for about 6 minutes before it shuts down completely, and if I try to actually do anything on it it turns off in way, way less time. I haven't been able to pin point it to a certain app of process, though some things will shut it down faster than others. It is making it impossible to use my tablet and I don't know what could be causing it.

Have you checked, if there is enough time to do so, what the state of charge of the battery is? Have you tried charging it to fully charged-100% . (do this with the tablet switched off so that it won't take so long to do) and then seeing how it performs.

If you have done the above and you still have problems, try connecting the charger (switched on) to your tablet and see if the tablet remains on when you use it. If it does then your battery is probably failing and it needs to be replaced.

Even rechargeable batteries have a life span.

Try the following and see if this resolves the problem. This is not a master reset so your information will not be deleted.

1. If your device is on, turn it off.

2. Press & hold the Volume down button. While holding Volume down, press & hold the Power button until the device turns on. You'll see the word "Start" with an arrow around it .

3. Press the Volume down button until you highlight "Recovery mode."

4. Press the Power button to start recovery mode. You'll see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.

5. Press & hold the Power button. While holding Power, press the Volume up button once. Then release Power.

6. Press the Volume down button until you highlight "Wipe cache partition," and then press the Power button to select it.

7. Press the Volume down button until you highlight “Yes,” and then press the Power button to select it.

8. Wait until the cache is wiped. You’ll see the words, “Cache wipe complete.”

9. Press the Power button to restart your device.

I have tried with the tablet plugged in and with the battery charge at 100, neither seemed to make any difference to the performance of the tablet, it was still having severe problems.

*Update 3/16/2016* Unfortunately the cache wipe did nothing to help the problem.

Hi, Try a hard reset. It will erase all your downloaded apps and user data and restore it to a factory default condition. Perform a backup first, if you can. Here is a link that shows you how. https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/...

Find a table with one leg about 1/2 inch shorter than the others. Place device under short leg. Leave it there and forget about it.

That might honestly be a better use for it at this point.

Oh that's funny. I have had computers and a few other things that were impossible to fix and I have used them as table legs, saw horses - - - Etc

I was having problems with the internet turning off by it's self quite often. I tried the cashe wipe instructions and it worked perfectly on my Nexus 7 Android version 6.0.1 Thanks

Help! Mine does the same thing! It keeps turning off, even with a full charge and I've only had it for two months. I'm ready to throw it out the window! I've set back to factory condition, did the procedure where you start with holding down the on button with volume, tried everything! Last time I ever buy a tablet or anything from this company!

If you've only had it for 2 months (from new) and have performed a factory reset and it still doesn't work properly, I suggest that you verify the purchase date of the tablet on the tablet's sales receipt or proof of purchase document and then consult the manufacturer's warranty statement (usually found in the user guide - or search for it online) and then follow the instructions as to what you have to do to make a claim for a manufacturer's warranty repair or replacement.

The warranty period for a Nexus 7 is 12 months from the date of purchase.

Jenna Pierce will be eternally grateful.