Model A1312 / Mid 2011 / 2.7 & 3.1 GHz Core i5 or 3.4 GHz Core i7 Processor

Ethernet cable (as well as board) not detected

After a power on of the iMac, my ethernet connection was no longer working.

Checking the "Network" preference pane shows "Ethernet cable not connected" - though it clear is. I tried several other cables - no luck. I don't have another computer to do more tests.

Checking the "System information" in the Ethernet tab shows "No ethernet board".

Is there a way to confirm the ethernet board is dead and then repair it ?

Is there a way to "restart" the board (I switched off/on several times already) if it's not dead ?

can you try resting the pram and smc

Thanks for the suggestion. As a matter of fact, I did reset the SMC (without knowing it) because it only needs to unplug the power cable and wait for a few seconds, which I did during my various tests.

Resetting the PRAM doesn't seem possible, as it needs holding some keys on the keyboard during startup, and I only have the bluetooth keyboard.

That port is part of the logic board. You may want to try an ethernet to Firewire 800 adapter to regain network functionality.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/mac/ent...

http://www.apple.com/shop/mac/mac-access...

Thanks for the suggestion. As a matter of fact, I have internet through WiFi. Not as good as ethernet, but good enough.

By "that port is part of the logic board", you mean I can't change it without changing the iMac, right ?

One of the problem with the Wifi solution is that - for example - the App Store doesn't work anymore, saying that it can't identify my computer. I guess that's because the ethernet MAC number can't be retrieved any more. Would the Thunderbolt adapter solution improve the situation with regard to this ?

You will need a new main logic board or find someone who could repair yours if possible.

www.amazon.com/Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit-Ethernet…

Sure you can do the Thunderbolt to ethernet too. I don't think it solve the App store issue, although I could be wrong on that. Sounds like you got a line surge or lightning hit. I did searches for the logic board to try to find if the ports board was separate on this logic board, but couldn't find a decent photo. Some were and there is a possibility that yours could be. Problem is that you would have to pull the board to look at it.

@mayer - Sadly, the Ethernet logic is part of the main logic board. I think you're right here a surge or lightning strike did it in. Time for a good (new) surge suppressor for the system and all the peripherals, or better yet a UPS.

stefmillet will be eternally grateful.