Model A1625. 2015 revision to Apple's set-top-box featuring an A8 processor and 2 GB of RAM.

Where is the IR sensor?

I'd like to attach an IR emitter to the front of the device, but I can't see where the IR sensor is located. The iFixit teardown doesn't offer any clues.

After some experimentation I found that the sensor is about half an inch to the left of the LED. Attaching my IR-extending emitter at that point led to reliable control of the device.

Unlike the gen 3 you can't see a hole even under a bright light, luckily found this thread @toddjonker has it spot on, 0.5" from the LED. Confirmed on the circuit image from the teardown (https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/ig...)

Most Helpful Answer

From my understanding the remote is using Bluetooth not IR as used in the older models.

Jump to Step 10 of the teardown {CSR (Qualcomm) CSR1010 Bluetooth radio}. If you look at Step 4 {Universal Scientific Industrial 339S00045 Wi-Fi module} you'll see the two antenna sockets one is for Bluetooth the other appears to be for WiFi (its possible this custom part is a dual Bluetooth transceiver so one can have two remotes active for game play).

Remember this model uses Siri and has a trackpad & accelerometer built into the remote. IR couldn't carry the data stream bi-directionally unlike Bluetooth.

The bottomline here is you don't need to worry about line of sight issues like you need to with IR. Here you just need to make sure the antenna is not blocked by metal.

This didn't answer the question; I did not ask about the remote's emitter. The new appleTV does in fact have an IR sensor as well as BT. I know this for a fact since I've been using the same non-BT Harmony remote as I used with earlier models.

As you hadn't expressed fully your direction here I answered the Q with the expectation you were planning on using the Apple remote that comes with the AppleTV not some other remote.

Ref, iFixit teardown image;

Todd Jonker will be eternally grateful.