The Canon PowerShot SX160 IS is a 16.0 megapixel digital camera with a 16x wide-angle optical image zoom and a 3.0 inch LCD.

Why does my camera not hold the date and time?

EVERY time I turn on my camera a screen comes up asking me to set a date and time. I do so, it says the date and time is as I set it. However, when I turn it back on the same screen comes up. When pictures are downloaded in my computer. the time is set to 1980!!

can you help me set them time on my canon powerShot SX160IS?

iPhone Battery Fix Kits

Only $29.99

iPhone Battery Fix Kits

Only $29.99

@darla this is common once the RTC (real time clock) battery is depleted. your camera will not remember the time and date without this battery. Changing it by using this guide should resolve this issue.

Great. They should have put a memo in the box with the camera. Thanks.

It's been so long since I've used my A540 that I'd completely forgotten about the RTC battery, but that's what the problem was, all right. Thanks for the reminder!

I've done this and it's still not working. Any other suggestions?

When you say "not working," do you mean it still asks for the time and date even after you've replaced the battery? I can only suggest that you make sure the battery is fresh and that you insert it right side up. If the camera works otherwise, I can't think of what else it might be.

Yes, I meant the date and time still do not work. I've checked the battery with a voltage meter and it definitely works. I've reinserted the battery multiple times, looking at the pictures above and other sources.

I'm stuck.

Try changing the tiny battery on the left side, on the top, pry open w/ your fingernail and replace this. I found this info doing a search online mine said CR-1220, its like a button battery, hope this works for you!

I replaced the battery. It still does the same thing.

OK. The battery must be inserted into the guide flat down. Now it works.

I bought the battery t london drugs with tax like 10 bucks they said camera was older but they still caried that brand battery no problm in getting them,

and when i chnged it my time and date stayed set after i shut it off then on again,

problem solved

I happen to have this exact same model camera and the same problem! To think, I only searched for Canon camera date reset in Google and it brought me right here!

It does appear the problem is the CR1220 button battery needs to be replaced. I think these can be found at most drug stores.

Had the same problem with my Canon Powershot SX20 IS. Found this little battery compartment that holds the CR1220 on the bottom of the camera inside where the main batteries are installed. Just open the bottom battery compartment and you will see the small little part you need to slide off. You may need a small flathead screwdriver. Hope this helps someone else out there.

Darla Hare will be eternally grateful.