The March 2015 update of Apple's 13" MacBook Pro Retina Display, model A1502, features fifth-generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors and introduces the Force Touch trackpad.

Replacing Just the Keyboard with Older model

I spilled nail polish remover on my 13" Macbook Pro Retina early 2015. Everything seems to be working perfectly except for the backlight in some places and a few keys.

I attemted to remove the key caps to clean under them because they were sticking, but it turns out that the acetone melted the clips on the key caps and now I cannot put them back on.

I want to replace just the keyboard which I know will be next to impossible but seems cheaper than the $450 that replacing the whole bottom is going to cost me.

I cannot seem to find a 2015 model of the keyboard online. If i am going to relplace the entire thing, can I use a 2013 or 2014 model?

Thank you!

Sadly, Apple only sells the full uppercase as a replacement part which is quite expensive! If you look on eBay you'll often find subassembly parts like the keyboard alone. Here's a snap on what I found: eBay 13" MacBook Pro retina A1502 keyboards. As far as I know Apple is still using the same keyboard in the newest model so you should be fine. Make a good inspection on the connector and the location of the ribbon cable it should be the same as yours if not return it.

Now for the fun! Apple glued the battery assembly into the upper case so it's a bear to remove without damaging it.

Before starting things here it is strongly recommended to discharge the battery (run the system down). If you have the battery charged it could ignite if you pierce the battery case!

Also wear safety glasses and a face mask in a well ventilated area (outside in a garage), as the fumes from the battery are not healthy to breathe.

While some techs have mastered the technique needed to remove the battery it does take some skill and I'm sure they have messed up a few perfecting it (I killed two). So you may end up needing a new battery if you mess up.

The trick is to use Ethanol alcohol to soften the glue basically keeping the glued surface wet for a good 8 or so minutes (not flooded). Then using a fishing line drag it under the battery carefully pulling it across acting as a knife as you go add more alcohol so the glue stays soft and wet were you've pulled across already. As soon as you get to the other side carefully lift the battery and make a good inspection for any cuts or pulls in the plastic either could be signs of damage. I would not chance putting the battery back as it could fail not only damaging your laptop but set things afire!

So, given the amount of work and the risks you may want to just buck up and buy the full upper case assembly. Here's the part info: MacBook Pro 13" Retina (Early 2015) Upper Case Assembly - Apple Part #: 661-02361. You might find a used one for less.

In any case here is the IFIXIT guide you'll need to follow to gain access to the keyboard or to replace the full assembly: MacBook Pro 13" Retina Display Early 2015 Upper Case Replacement.

MacBook Pro 13" Retina (Early 2015) Upper Case Assembly Image

Your backlight problem implies you got some remover into the lid assembly damaging the polarizer & buffer sheets. That will likely need a new LCD unit.

Annika will be eternally grateful.