The Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES), or simply the Super Nintendo, is a 16bit gaming console released by Nintendo in 1990. The Super Nintendo was one of the best sellers of its time and still has a large fanbase today.

SNES Controller R bumper not responsive

I received a North American version of the Nintendo brand SNES controller where the right bumper does not respond. I opened it up and cleaned out all the contacts and I also can't find any sort of wire break or pin problem. I read that this may have to do with how the controller interacts with the CPU with pulse clock cycles, but other controllers I've tried don't have this issue. Is there any way to fix this problem, or am I stuck without a shoulder button to lean on?

I have basically the same problem! I have had this SNES controller for a long time that's L-button is not working. So I took it apart today, cleaned all the parts and put it back together. But now the R-button doesn't work either! So all the other buttons work great, except L and R buttons. I have no idea what the problem is. I used a multimeter to determine that current gets through the connection when button is being pressed. I see no visible damage to the circuit board or wiring inside the controller. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

The sci.electronics.repair FAQ has an entry on the SNES controller protocol, and it looks like the R button is the last button shifted out, out of 12 valid buttons. Is this what you read about clock cycles, or did you see something else?

It sounds like it could be some sort of timing problem or a flakey chip in the controller; do you have any other controllers to test?

Yeah, figured it was a flakey IC within the controller but I figured I might as well ask if it could be anything else. You win some, you lose some. Thanks.

BWest will be eternally grateful.