Can I fix the readout screen light on my Livescribe Echo?

The light gradually faded and now it is essentially nonexistant. I love the pen, but this is my second one and both have have malfunctioned.

New Battery = Faster iPhone
Fix Kits starting at $16.99

Most Helpful Answer

The livescribe OLED-Display is cheapest cr** - not perfectly sealed, oxygen and especially atmospheric humidity can rapidly degrade the organic light-emitting materials inside. Livecribe has proven :(

I got my pen replaced by livescribe (warranty) just to see it fade shortly after the original warranty period expired.

You can disassemble the Pen, but i found no replacement for the display so far... I can't imagine that this is a proprietary part made just and only for livescribe, so somewhere in this world there must be an OEM part. Maybe someone else has an idea?

I have exactly the same problem and so far I have been unable to source a replacement screen ... I will continue to hunt for this elusive part ....

I found this about a replacement LED - http://amasci.com/elect/livescribe.html

Thank you for the tutorial, now I just need to find a pen with an OLED that is still bright enough to be useful ... cheers 8)

Buydisplay.com has some small OLED displays that might work. If I find one successfully I'll post it. If someone finds it first, please post it

Any luck? I want to fix mine.

I would like to know whether you found a suitable replacement screen also. I have a few irons in the fire at the moment. I will keep you posted as to whether I located a replacement screen.

thank you, I'm keeping a close look out for a replacement too and will share any info that I find ...

Nope. I replaced it first by a Livescribe Echo 3 but this one is worse than the first. This pen degraded alltogether within days and I sent it back. Now I have a Ne Smartpen 2 but I still miss the incredible functionality of my fist Echo. Shame there is no real competition after all these years.

Two points really from my experience and I have had many of the pens as has my wife, one of which has a bearing on the second: 1) don't let your pen run out of charge and don't use it at full brightness ( I use mine at 10%), 2) if you buy a used one, beware that it probably is not functioning again if the battery has gone dead - enquire about the screen before purchasing and make sure you can return it if it isn't. It seems that it is a function of battery and battery type. The new ones that I have purchased and if they fail, Livescribe replaces without question but the supposed BNIB on ebay - beware. I did read a blog where the guy replaced the screen but you realy have to be a electronic engineer and have small hands and good eyesight! I agree, too bad there isn't more competition as the concept is exceptional for my work.

Tammy will be eternally grateful.