Can I fix the readout screen light on my Livescribe Echo?

The light gradually faded and now it is essentially nonexistant. I love the pen, but this is my second one and both have have malfunctioned.

Most Helpful Answer

The livescribe OLED-Display is cheapest cr** - not perfectly sealed, oxygen and especially atmospheric humidity can rapidly degrade the organic light-emitting materials inside. Livecribe has proven :(

I got my pen replaced by livescribe (warranty) just to see it fade shortly after the original warranty period expired.

You can disassemble the Pen, but i found no replacement for the display so far... I can't imagine that this is a proprietary part made just and only for livescribe, so somewhere in this world there must be an OEM part. Maybe someone else has an idea?

I have exactly the same problem and so far I have been unable to source a replacement screen ... I will continue to hunt for this elusive part ....

I have the same problem,I was just about to buy a new one but am thinking will it go the same way

I found this about a replacement LED - http://amasci.com/elect/livescribe.html

Thank you for the tutorial, now I just need to find a pen with an OLED that is still bright enough to be useful ... cheers 8)

Buydisplay.com has some small OLED displays that might work. If I find one successfully I'll post it. If someone finds it first, please post it

Any luck? I want to fix mine.

I would like to know whether you found a suitable replacement screen also. I have a few irons in the fire at the moment. I will keep you posted as to whether I located a replacement screen.

thank you, I'm keeping a close look out for a replacement too and will share any info that I find ...

Nope. I replaced it first by a Livescribe Echo 3 but this one is worse than the first. This pen degraded alltogether within days and I sent it back. Now I have a Ne Smartpen 2 but I still miss the incredible functionality of my fist Echo. Shame there is no real competition after all these years.

Two points really from my experience and I have had many of the pens as has my wife, one of which has a bearing on the second: 1) don't let your pen run out of charge and don't use it at full brightness ( I use mine at 10%), 2) if you buy a used one, beware that it probably is not functioning again if the battery has gone dead - enquire about the screen before purchasing and make sure you can return it if it isn't. It seems that it is a function of battery and battery type. The new ones that I have purchased and if they fail, Livescribe replaces without question but the supposed BNIB on ebay - beware. I did read a blog where the guy replaced the screen but you realy have to be a electronic engineer and have small hands and good eyesight! I agree, too bad there isn't more competition as the concept is exceptional for my work.

Use heat it will light right back up I used a heat gun and it lit up brand new just keep the heat on it no longer then 8 seconds at a time and I suggest you open it and exposed the screen add high temp heet and Bam

Michael, you said keep the heat on for 8 seconds at a time. How many times do you do that and at what intervals? I'd love to recover the screen on mine if your method works. Thanks.

what kind of heat?! i'm a girl, not a techie, can you give me a step by step please? the screen on my pen is out...

I also had (and have) this problem with my Pulse Livescribe Pen. The LED doesn’t work anymore. But I practice a kind of workaround. Using the headset, I completely trust on the audio instruction. And using the Record and Start dots, for me it’s a perfect and effective solution for years already. I also know other people do this. Kind regards from the Netherlands, ^JT

I am also a victim of this design defect. I think we should demand the collective refund of the money and force the company to withdraw each and every one of these pens. We should not resign ourselves in silence with what seems to me to be a fraud.

In the box it says "NEVER MISS A WORD" and they should have added "AFTER 3 YEARS IT WILL STOP IRREMEDIABLELY AND CANNOT BE REPAIRED".

A producer of more than € 100 should have a much much longer duration.

Tammy will be eternally grateful.