The EOS 6D was released in 2012 as Canon’s first consumer-level, full-frame DSLR. It comes pre-equipped with a 2.75”x2” LCD viewing screen, a GPS antenna and wifi connectivity.

How to clean 8-way controller?

Down-direction of the 8-way controller in my 6D does not work anymore. It's behaviour has been degrading slowly so the problem could be some kind of dirt between the contacts. Is there a way to clean it without opening whole back cover? If the back cover has to be opened using the guides here is there a way to actually access the contacts of the 8-way controller and still be able to put everything back together?

Most Helpful Answer

If you follow this guide, you can take off the back panel. From here its relatively easy to access all of the buttons.

You can remove the connection and screw (indicated by red on the above photo) to take out the 8-way controller. The plastic control dpad itself is simply clipped on to the electronics and can be removed by gently pulling back the clips (I used a very small flathead screwdriver).

As you can see underneath was quite dirty, and cleaning it has helped somewhat but not completely. I will need to source a new 8-way controller despite the cleaning! :(

Here is the controller for $12 on eBay. I'm ordering one for my camera, I'll update when I get it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-6D-KEY-Flex-...

I have the same problem. It helps compressed air . But I fear that dirt just go in camera.

I saw same (looks same) 8-way controller for 70D on ebay. Do you know if they are the same?

Here is what I found. If same part is for 6D it would be great. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Set-Dia...

After cleaning the controller contacts the problems on mine got worse, beforehand only the up and down select keys would work, now all directions don't work. Oh well, I ordered the same controller as heavyweightdefender ordered so hopefully that it'll fix my problem. Until then I'll just have to make do with my scroll wheels. Also, it would be nice if you added tweezers do the tutorial Ben Haymen, luckily I had some - they are definitely necessary for putting the controller clip back together. Thanks otherwise though! Great visual aid.

The flex component should work well.

Unfortunately, the previously suggested 60D 8-way controller does not work in the 6D - it is slightly smaller and the ZIF connector at the end is also different.

I'll try ordering the flex component too. Fingers crossed.

I don't have any pictures, however I was also experiencing the above problem with one of the buttons on the 8 way multi-controller (right directional in my case, only worked if pressed very hard), and went ahead with the flex cable replacement from eBay (this item) after cleaning did not work.

I used the linked Rear Body Panel Replacement guide to get to the flex cable, then proceeded from there to replace the ribbon. Replacing it requires separating the existing cable from the button plastics, then an additional metal backing plate that the ribbon itself is adhered to. After the remaining adhesive is removed you re-stick the metal plate to the ribbon, then go ahead and do everything in reverse (pre-installed adhesive on the replacement ribbon is very handy).

Worked brilliantly & I now have a fully functional multi-controller for only the cost of the replacement ribbon.

JukkaH will be eternally grateful.