Repair manuals and support for cars and trucks manufactured by Chevrolet.

Carb is throwing gas and wont Idle

1976 Monte Carlo

My Monte is in the garage for the winter and I like to start it from time to time Just to keep the oil moving while its sitting . Today when I started it it chocked and puked a few times and ran with help on the throttle but wouldn't idle just puked a out a lot of gas . It has s 650 holly double pumper . Any Ideas as to whats going on.

Try taping the float bowel till the pins let loose and the floats re-float. This happens when you don't put stabilizer in your fuel and your engine sits for extended periods. The ethanol in the fuel causes a green sludge build up in the carb that makes the float pins stick . give the float bowels a tap with hammer not hard you just want to free them up . you may want to pull that pumper apart an clean the jets and needles and the float bowl reservoir. Hope this helps

Tap trick worked and I decided to put a carb kit on it so i cleaned it out and you were right about the green scale. I'll have to remember to use a fuel stabilizer after this.

Robert Unclair will be eternally grateful.