The 2008-2012 Ford Escape features a revised front and rear fascia and restyled LED tail lamps.

2009 Ford Escape - Wont shift out of park

My Escape started to stick in park recently . You can pull on the shifter lever till your blue in the face and it will not budge and another time it works fine and shifts smooth like there was nothing wrong . When it wont shift if I leave it for a while and come back to it it will usually work . Can anyone suggest a fix for this

My kid shoved a penny down where my gear shift is will that affect my car?

Try replacing the brake light switch under the dash . It sends a signal to the shift lock to say its ok you have your foot on the brake . If the switch isnt working it wont release the lock and you wont be able to shift out of park. A quick test for this is to have someone check and see if your brake light is on when your shifter is stuck. You can also just release the brake and reapply till it works.If this brings no joy look to the other end of the lock system and make sure the locking solenoid is functioning properly Its located in the center console at the front of the shifter. Hope this helps

Is the brake light switch on the brake pedal? If so I cant see it. This is the problem When the car wont shift to park the brake lights don't work either but pumping the brakes a few times seems to fix it. Can you tell me where the switch is?

The shifter switch is sort of offset to the right of the pedal up under the dash . If you push the pedal in and release it a few times you'll see the switch moving a bit. it requires no tools just twist it a quarter turn and it pulls out then undo the power clip. Hope this helps

found it and this fix worked

i've got an 08, same issue... but... i'm married to a master ford mechanic and i can tell you it's not the break switch or selunoid etc on mine, i even have brake lights (first thing he tried was the switch). he's ripped it apart trying to find the the cause, which from a brief read on the net is rather common with the escapes.

Brake switch on mine. Easy to replace cost $51. 00

After replacing the bpp switch my car won't start or nothing now what. But will shift out of gear

Doug Johns will be eternally grateful.