Repair and disassembly guides for GE Microwave ovens.

Loud noise when turntable is in use.

I have an over the range microwave. A rattling noise can be heard when the turntable is in use. When the turntable is turned off there is no noise. I have tried removing the glass plate and turntable roller not no avail. Should I remove the bottom of the microwave to gain access to the turntable mechanism ?

This is a follow up to my previous comment. After receiving a second microwave, after 3 days it to started to make the same growling noise ?? So I decided to thoroughly clean the platter, base of microwave and roller assembly. NO MORE NOISE. GE should have a 'tip' noted on the plate when setting up new microwave. So now I have 2 NEW GE microwaves for the price of one !!!

Mac RAM Kits
Speed up your Mac. Max out its memory.
Mac RAM Kits
Get more memory out of your Mac.

Check for flat spots on the rollers on the roller ring. (It is what the turntable rests on.) If there are flat spots, unfortunately the ring has to be replaced as there are no individual rollers available

Most Helpful Answer

Had the same problem which was solved by cleaning the the entire track and wheels under the turntable. Amazing how much sound emanates from such a simple problem. Of course you should be very careful to have the parts placed correctly after they are removed for cleaning.

Remember to clean the underside of the glass turntable also. Apparently if food dries onto any of these three mentioned surfaces, rumbling can ensue. Mine's rumbling stopped!

Note: Thanks to Rick & Graham's combined suggestions, I was able to rule out the motor. Thank you ALL that posted/brainstormed!

Read the problem folks...it going to be the motor ir plastic piece between the plate and motor or both

Yes, the problem has not been addressed. We removed the turntable and the ring with the wheels and the noise persists. It is inside the the oven itself. The problem started outside of the warranty period. Losing faith in Panasonic.

Hello Richard - we have the same problem. Cleaning the wheels etc makes no difference. The problem is inside the oven itself, perhaps in the motor or thereabouts. We removed the turntable and the wheels and turned the microwave on and the noise still occurred. Quite loud and annoying. Only began after warranty ran out. Sorry I'm no help - can only commiserate.

The problem is probably the turntable motor. To prove it. pry off the plastic drive pinion, that the thing that turns the turntable, close the door and do a 10 or 20 second micro selection. If the noise continues it means the motor is faulty.

I tried this, and it stopped making the knocking noises; the wheels are good, and everything clean. What next??

This is a new Wellington microwave; I returned the last one as it was doing the same thing.

I have the same problem. I replaced the drive motor (~$50 part) and the noise is the same...or worse. Any suggestions?

I have the same problem with GE microwave. Loud rattling noise after 6 weeks of use. GE sent me an identical replacement. Same noise after 1st day. ANNOYING. I will look into track and turntable by interchanging parts, POOR QUALITY ASSURANCE BY GE.

I have the same problem. My microwave is a Sears Kenmore. This is not unique to a certain brand. I have actually had mine for 7 years. This problem just started last week. It makes bumping noised and has a loud screech when it turns.

my 15 year old GE was screeching until i put a drop of 3 in one oil down the shaft of the motor in the floor of the microwave (just pull the plastic piece straight up to access it) bob

Solved!!

Mine sounded like someone rhythmically knocking their knuckle on a table top about 2 knocks per second.

My microwave was clean, I thought, (it looks like it just came out of the box).

I first removed the track and rolled it on a super smooth surface. No flat spots.

I then took the tips of my fingers and lightly ran them around the path the rollers would take. Voila'!

An invisible bumpiness I was barely able to feel.

Gave her a good wipe all around and she's running like new!

Thanks for saving me a bundle! You rock!

Richard Peck will be eternally grateful.