Model A1419 / Late 2013 / 3.2 & 3.4 GHz Core i5 or 3.5 GHz Core i7 Processor

Use of Samsung 950 PRO M.2 256 GB SSD

Hello!

I have the late 2013 27" iMac and I know it has a PCI-e SSD connection slot. At the moment it's not in use. (only a 1TB HDD).

I do however have a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 256GB SSD.

Will it work, if I use the iFixit guide to take the iMac apart and insert this M.2 SSD?

In other words, will I have fusion drive activated between the 1TB HDD and the SSD?

It's a lot of steps to open up this iMac and I would not be very happy if I place the thing and it doesn't work... Hope to hear from you!

Thank you for the respons!

There seems to be a lot of confusion.. I read in some tech articles that the connector used has the standard M.2 interface.. :( sure it won't fit?

Sadly it isn't compatible. Here is a picture to compare to the one I have below: Samsung 950 Pro SSD

Apple is using a PCIe interface just one that is of their own design. Samsung is manufacturing the custom part for them using the same design as the M.2 950 Pro SSD.

Could you point out the difference? I can't seem to spot it.

Compare the SanDisk SSD image below to this image of the Samsung drive above. Note the slot in the connector pins the slot is located in a different location. This is the keyway and the connector in the system will not mate up correctly with the pins,

I am also looking to buy a late 2013 A1419 and I was wandering :

1. it the machine came with a 1T HD no fusion drive. Will the SSD conector be there?

2. would this drive from VisionTek fit: https://www.visiontek.com/images/stories...

The pinout seem to be alright?

Thank you,

First you'll want to review the IFIXIT guide: iMac Intel 27" EMC 2639 SSD Replacement.

If you look at this Sandisk SSD you'll see Apple has a slightly different connector on their SSD's. The M.2 SSD won't fit.

If those connectors are double sided then the SanDisk smaller side is 24 pins connector, the Samsung 950 pro is 10 pins but the connector from the iMac shown in the Guide above is 16 pins. I don’t understand. See picture: https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/ig.... If that's the case then the only drive that would is the vision tek. Are my assumptions correct?

Thank you,

../Bruno

The issue here is they are based on different connector standards. Blade SSD's need to match up with the standard the system uses.

Daan H will be eternally grateful.