The Kenmore 90 Series is a washing machine manufactured by Kenmore.

Washer won't agitate or spin and hums when trying

Hello all,

So the other day my wife throws in a load of laundry and comes back hours later to find that the washer control knob is in the off position (as if it completed the cycle) and the tub is full of water.

I take a look and find that if I place the knob at the beginning of a cycle I hear a hum but no agitation. If I place it in Spin mode and activate the lid switch manually, it will make the usual sound when engaging the tub to spin but instead of spinning it just hums. Thinking that something might be stuck, I manually drained most of the water and attempted the same operation and found that the tub would move slightly (less than a eighth of a turn. I then attempted to jerk it into motion by leaving it in spin mode and repeatedly activating the lid switch and every so often I'd get a quarter turn of the tub and started to smell a slight burning odor and stopped after that.

I then found an article (well written) that talked about the motor coupling and ended up tearing the machine down only to find that the coupler was intact (not shredded/broken/disintegrated).

The last observation I can offer is that I am barely able to move the tub by hand (but seem to recall that I should be able to freely) but can move the agitator just fine (in the opposite direction of the tub).

Not sure if it's the tranny or ??

So the problem turned out to be one of my daughters tiny socks that got sucked into the water pump. This was preventing the motor from turning and therefore the tub.

Removed the sock and the washer is working.

Thanks,

Most Helpful Answer

Before you go to the transmission check:

Stator Assembly

How it Works:

The stator interacts with the rotor to create a strong electromagnetic field which rotates the tub in either direction. If the windings on the stator are damaged, the washer will not spin or agitate. Check the stator for damaged windings or other defects.

Rotor Assembly

How it Works:

The rotor interacts with the stator to create a strong electromagnetic field, which rotates the tub in either direction. If the magnets on the rotor are damaged, or any part of the rotor is defective, the washer may not spin or agitate. To determine if the rotor is defective, inspect the rotor for damage. If the rotor is damaged, replace it.

Thanks. I should have also mention that I did spin the motor shaft to make sure it wasn't seized (it wasn't). Aside from that, where are the Rotor and Stator assemblies located?

Actually I don't know on your model.

SBS0518 will be eternally grateful.