The EOS 6D was released in 2012 as Canon’s first consumer-level, full-frame DSLR. It comes pre-equipped with a 2.75”x2” LCD viewing screen, a GPS antenna and wifi connectivity.

Sd Slot needs repair

I want to buy and replace my sd card slot in my canon 6d, Am i able to buy one off you?

Hi

I do not know if it is the electronic part or the door/hatch you refer to, anyway I had a broken door and found a replacement on ebay. I took off all the panels which are needed and replaced the hatch. After reassembly the camera does not start, probably as the microswith on the door somehow got broken. To replace the microswitch you have to take out the main board. Too bad. I regret the attempt and should have continued to use my taped door...

Gunnar Maehlum

Hi, where to buy microswitch on the door?

I know it’s been years since this question was asked, but since I had the same problem I thought I would give a little insight to anyone else who may have this issue.

One of the pins/contacts in my SD slot on my 6d was somehow pushed back and bent in half away from the SD card, and didn’t make contact with the card. I tried using a small nail to bend it back out but ended up breaking the pin. I disassembled the camera to where I could see the SD card slot was micro-soldered onto the mainboard.

It has extremely tight tolerances and requires a micro-soldering station to de-solder it and attach a replacement. I found the part on ebay for ~$12 and when it came in I took the main board and the new sd card slot to a local shop that specializes in micro-soldering. They quoted me a little under $100 and had it completed within a week. I had also gotten a quote from a shop that specializes in micro-soldering on DSLRs, they quoted me $150-160 including the cost of the part.

I would HIGHLY recommend paying a professional to swap the card slot if you have the same problem as me; if you damage the main board you will have to purchase a new main board and send the entire camera to Canon to be calibrated. The main boards are NOT interchangeable without professional calibration.

One thing to note is the extremely fragile microswitch for the SD card door. I broke mine reassembling my camera. Instead of replacing it, I used a utility knife to pop the switch off the cable/board it’s attached to so the camera thinks the door is always closed. Also be aware you will need to remove and replace your camera’s rubber grips when doing this repair. Do not attempt to re-glue the old rubber on to the camera or it will compromise the water resistance and make it significantly harder to do any future repairs.

Joey McCann will be eternally grateful.