Fifth generation of iPhone. Repair of this device is straightforward, and requires screwdrivers, prying tools, and patience. GSM/CDMA / 16, 32, or 64 GB / Black or White.

Recovering data from dead iPhone? Please help!

My iPhone 4s wont power on or enter DFU mode, my computer recognises it but wont restore or update it (error 2001 and error -18) and third party recovery tools cant do anything because it wont enter DFU mode, any ideas as to how I can get my data off it?

(P.s. i only really want contacts, messages and photos, and it hasnt been backed up in 4 months)

Most Helpful Answer

Mark O Reilly, the only recovery you can do is to recover from an iTunes. You will not be able to recover anything from your phone unless you get it to respond to iTunes. So, if it would be me I would try and fix the errors. To try and resolve error 2001, I'd install a new battery. Error -18 usually occurs when the media library on the device is corrupt and cannot be modified or updated.

When trying to restore your iPhone with iTunes, you may see the following error message:

An unknown error occurred -18

Solution

Put the iPhone into recovery mode and restore.

Update to the latest iTunes to prevent this issue from occurring. from here

Thanks very much, I've just ordered the new battery so fingers crossed :)

Error 2001 occurs when there is a problem with your battery. The solution is to change your battery. Besides, error -18 means that the activation server was down at the time you restored. If your iPhone can reboot normally, just enter setting > general > reset > reset all setting / erase all content and settings > press home + power button to reboot your phone. If your iTunes can identify your iPhone, backup all your data before restoring. If not, you might need to try the iPhone Data Recovery tool for help. Get more detail from this tutorial about how to recover data from dead iPhone.

Mark O Reilly will be eternally grateful.