Model A1312 / Mid 2011 / 2.7 & 3.1 GHz Core i5 or 3.4 GHz Core i7 Processor

2011 iMac screen goes and stays black

Ready to throw it out the window! I can hear it start up but the screen is black. Took it to get fixed and they reset the LCD cable and it worked at the store got it home and back to black. Now what?

I took it to another computer store and they had the screen working after reseating the lcd cable. I brought it home still black. Took it back and they said it was the lcd screen.

this sounds like the Graphics issue the 2011s have. do you have the AMD 6970M? they had a recall a few months back. you might still be eligible if this is the issue. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203787

I bought an iMac with this problem for a good price to solve the problem. I got it temporary worked around, maybe you can try it.

Unplugging the power for a while and putting display brightness to lowest seem to have worked around the problem for a while.

I think the built in power adapter or backlight board is the issue. These are both always powered when plugged in.

This week this workaround didn't work anymore and I'll replace both. I'll let you know what the culprit was.

Dennis van der Pool

Hey Dennis, just wondering, did you ever replace the power supply and backlight board?

Hi Jeroen,

I fixed my problem by replacing the LED backlight board, see details here: Screen backlight goes out randomly.

Gr,

Dennis

kristin will be eternally grateful.