Model A1312 / Mid 2011 / 2.7 & 3.1 GHz Core i5 or 3.4 GHz Core i7 Processor, ID iMac12,2

2011 iMac screen goes and stays black

Ready to throw it out the window! I can hear it start up but the screen is black. Took it to get fixed and they reset the LCD cable and it worked at the store got it home and back to black. Now what?

I took it to another computer store and they had the screen working after reseating the lcd cable. I brought it home still black. Took it back and they said it was the lcd screen.

this sounds like the Graphics issue the 2011s have. do you have the AMD 6970M? they had a recall a few months back. you might still be eligible if this is the issue. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203787

Yes it is a graphic card issue. every year or so I have to do a tear down and bake my graphics card in the oven. Good as new!

I bought an iMac with this problem for a good price to solve the problem. I got it temporary worked around, maybe you can try it.

Unplugging the power for a while and putting display brightness to lowest seem to have worked around the problem for a while.

I think the built in power adapter or backlight board is the issue. These are both always powered when plugged in.

This week this workaround didn't work anymore and I'll replace both. I'll let you know what the culprit was.

Dennis van der Pool

Hey Dennis, just wondering, did you ever replace the power supply and backlight board?

Hi Jeroen,

I fixed my problem by replacing the LED backlight board, see details here: Screen backlight goes out randomly.

Gr,

Dennis

Yes this method worked for me. but i noticed that this issue has to do with the LCD screen .

To test my theory i loaded a Linux OS on a USB and booted from USB i noticed the screen stayed on without going black

I repeated this for a WIN 7 using bootcamp to install and it still didn't go black

since win7 has issues adjusting the brightness of the screen .

However, the moment you boot into Apple and its on full brightness it would go black after a couple of minutes but if you reduced the brightness to the minimum it would stay on through out.

Am guessing there is a sensor reading in apple OSx that switches this off .

The problem got resolved after i replaced the led backlight board. See my other reply above. Works ever since.

kristin will be eternally grateful.