Released June 2012, Model A1278. Intel processor with Turbo Boost, Up to 512 MB DDR5 Video RAM

What is the maximum size RAM upgraded in a MacBook Pro 13?

I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), and 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5.

I currently have 4GB of memory and desperately need to upgrade. What is the maximum I can upgrade my memory to?

Most Helpful Answer

Here's the specs page from EveryMac: MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 GHz i5 (Mid-2012).

As you can see you can push the system upto 16GB of RAM using two 8GB memory modules.

One of the issues I often see when someone is asking about adding more RAM is a hard drive is in trouble! So before you upgrade your RAM how about making sure your system is in good shape.

Here are the things I would do in order:

• Make a good backup!
  • Using a cache & log cleaning app clean out the old cache & log files
  • Clean out any old stuff one does not need. Basically you want to leave a minimum of 1/4 of the drive free and if you can 1/3 (1/3 for smaller drives).
  • From an external bootable drive run Disk Utility to fix any permission & disk errors.
  • I would also recommend running a drive de-fragment app like Drive Genius

Then and only then would I consider upping the RAM.

In most cases I would stay at 8 GB that should be enough. If you are working on very large sets of data (DB, image or video processing) or running a lot of apps concurrently then going to 16GB would make sense, otherwise it doesn't offer any benefit.

I would also make sure the systems firmware was upto date. Follow this Apple T/N: About EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Mac computers

Joti L will be eternally grateful.