Repair information for printers made by Canon.

How do I clean the ink absorber pads

How do I clean the ink absorber pads on the Canon PIXMA MP490 printer?

great that it tells you how to clean them but how do you get them out??

Mine is a Canon MX522 Pixma

I searched and finally found a video that showed it. You don't have to remove the holder. Just push down on one end of the absorber and the other end will lift up. Then use tweezers to pull it out.

I can't find a model number on my PIXMA and it doesn't look like any of the videos I found on the web. I found that the absorber pads, however, under the resting place of the 240 & 241 ink cartridges were held in place by a rectangular rubber cup that doesn't come out. After some fiddling, I realized that the rubber cup doesn't come out but the rather hard pads they held came out easily.

I have a Pixma 4500 and took the pads out easily with tweezers. They stuck a little but finally grabbed them. I kept looking for "the frame" that was used to describe where they were sitting, but it's not a frame like a picture frame, it's a seated bottom with cutouts for both shaped pads with an attached frame around edge. It is also not soft rubber but hard from years of use. I wasted much time just trying to pull on edge with tweezers thinking it was just a wrap around frame. Then I got so frustrated and just grabbed and pulled it hard with tweezers and to my surprise this whole piece came out that has a full bottom where both pieces sit in ,with an edge all around. Thinking it was just a frame I was gently pulling and of course nothing happened. Give a good yank and you should have no problem. Still don't know if it will fix my problem as Im soaking them in warm soapy water now. Spent the whole night on this- Hope it helps!

Jim Strangways try this:

1. Open the printer as though you were going to install new ink cartridges, letting the cartridge cradle move to the center of the printing unit. Unplug the printer so that the cartridges will remain in their position.

2 Locate the waste ink absorbers in their black rubber frame. They will likely be on the right side of your printer, and will be located underneath the area where the ink cartridges rest when the printer is in standby mode.

3 Use a paper napkin or other disposable and absorbent material to soak up any excess ink that may be in the pads by pressing it down onto the top of the frame.

4 Pull the rubber frame free from the printer, wearing gloves to keep your hands clean. Carefully remove the ink absorber pad or pads from the rubber frame.

5 Insert new ink absorber pads firmly into the rubber frame. Replace the rubber frame in its original position and close the printer.

6 Hold down the power button, then plug the printer back in. Continue holding the power button down until the printer begins to reset itself and come online.

7 Wait for the green power light to turn off, then press and release the power button again. It should blink for two to three seconds, then stay lit; this will indicate that the printer has been reset and is ready to print again without errors. From here

All went well until restarting the printer. It is still not printing. Now it has a small orange triangle in the display window on steady with a flashing green character in the display to the right rotating from "E" to "0" to "8" repeatedly.

I tried step 6 & 7, above and I still get an error 5B800. Also, my ink absorber pad came out, with a little help from a tweezer.

Canon printer uses small, spongy pads to absorb ink, while printing the print heads. when these pads are

sopped the printer send a message that"Ink absorber Full". Follow these steps to clean the Ink absober

1. Take a bowl with warm water and add some soapy material

2. Open the ink cartridge compartment

3. wait for ink cartridges and disconnect the printers power cord

4. Look balck rubber frame under the ink cartridge

5. pull the rubber frame out of the printer and remove ink absorber pads

6. clean the pads in the bowl

7. After cleaning stack them three or four paper towels to dry

8. and check the pads whether they dry or not

9. Place the pads back to the rubber frame

10. Now reconnect the power button and start

" Look balck rubber frame under the ink cartridge" Can you even &&^&^$' speak English??

Open the lid on your printer. If you have an owner's manual, consult it to determine the precise location of the waste ink absorber.

Let the ink or toner cartridge slide completely out of the way. You will now have free access to the waste ink absorber.

Detach the waste ink absorber by pulling gently on its rubber frame. Pull it away from the printer to remove it completely.

Unplug the printer to prevent mishaps.

Remove the foam pads and place them in a bucket of hot, soapy water. Let them soak long enough for the ink to get loose. You should be able to scrub it away easily. If you can't, you need to let the pads soak longer.

Spread out the pads on paper towels or newspaper. Allow them to dry completely. You might want to just let them dry overnight.

Here is what worked for my MX882. If Canon is unable to assist, or generically refers you to Service Center or replacement (as was my case), try the following at your own risk:

1. Download Service_Tool_v3400.zip . This was the hardest part, as there were many dubious download sites. I successfully downloaded a virus-free version from foreign site http://resetters.ru/?showtopic=16305, and found the link on post #13 from Sir Sava.

2. Connect printer by cable to your computer (not WiFi).

3. Access Service Mode on printer. Power off. Press and hold Stop/Resume button, press and hold Power button, release Stop/Resume button, and then press Stop/Resume button five times. Then release Power button.

4. Open Service_Tool_v3400 program:

- Set Destination Region: USA

- Clear Ink Counter / Absorber: select Main

- Click Set in lower right corner of screen

5. This reset my error code, and when I restarted printer, it was fully functional. For me, this process resurrected this Canon printer (my third in three years).

Make sure you run a virus checker on the service tool. I believe the one above is the one from a Russian site I tried that was not virus free. I did find a version 3.6 download that was virus free, and although it did not display it's menus properly, I was able to use it to reset the ink absorber counter.

2. Open the ink cartridge compartment

6. clean the pads in the bowl

Have a Canon Pixma MP980, ink absorber is full.

Can anyone advise me how to clean them.

Marg

That's my model too. I have blotted the ink absorber, but not taken it out and washed it. I tried to do a reset, but don't seem to have succeeded! Any specific help would be very welcome for me and Marg.

Mary, would you please put the link for the video please.

I have not been able to find anything on the Canon Pixma980.

it's easier to do things when I see it done.

Marg

I'm just getting into this. It's a non-trivial pursuit. First of all you have to remove the ends of the printer and then the entire print mechanism. It is essential to have the MP980 service manual, and even with that it's tricky and takes a bit of trial and error. It does involve removing a number of connectors from the logic boards and two ferrite toroids which snap into the frame (broke one because I didn't know the magic angle to get them out :-() After you have the printer disassembled, you will find multiple stacks of mostly 1/4" sheet felt which comprise the ink absorber "kit". You may also find great gobs of congealed ink where it appears to drip down into the felt pads. Given how saturated many of the felt pads are, I'm not confident that attempting to clean them will be all that succesful. Instead I'm going to try to make new pads from industrial felt. I've found a supplier for this and will repost once I've given it a shot. It clearly is not as simple as some other models seem to be.

I just completed cleaning the pads on my M980. Rather than making new ones I did end up cleaning them. I numbered them prior to removal with a permanent ink pen and took pictures to ensure I would be able to get them all back in place. There are 15 pads. In some cases they are stacked 3 high and in one corner 4 high. There is also a long double pad at the rear that requires you remove a plastic piece held down by 2 screws. In the right front there is a white plastic mechanism held with 2 screws that also has to be removed. I soaked the pads in warm water with a bit of Dawn dish soap. The ink flowed out rapidly, and so I repeatedly emptied the water and repeated -- about 2 dozen times. After the water ran clear, I put the pads on paper towels on cookie racks to dry over night. Also, be turn the printer upside down and clean the gobs of ink from the underside. After reassembly, I did need to do 2 cleanings and 2 deep cleanings of the print heads to restore the ability to print, but all is well.

One other thing. Although this might not apply to other printers mentioned -- but I suspect it does -- the comment to lift out the pads in the rubber frame under the ink cartridges, definitely does not apply to the MP980. This refers to the area which simply collects the ink and funnels it to the ink absorbers in the base of the printer. If all you did was clean out these little pads, you would accomplish essentially nothing, so if someone suggests this is all you need to do, you should dig a little deeper.

As someone else noted these little hard plastic pads are NOT the ink absorbers, you may be able to look in and see the pipes leading to the actual absorbers. If anyone knows if the real ones can be cleaned or actually need to be cleaned please advise. Anyhow the reset tool brings the printer back into service for now !

Jim Strangways will be eternally grateful.