Model A1502 / 2.4, 2.6, or 2.8 GHz dual-core Intel processor / Released October 2013

Backlight works, but no display!

Okay, here's the rundown.

A1502, purchased in March 2014, has suddenly created a pretty nasty problem.

Went to boot one day and *chime!* but no screen. Apple logo on the back lit up, backlight was obviously working, but ZERO display workings.

Okay, so I plug in an external monitor. Nothing. "HDMI signal not detected." Okay, so I do the Googles, read the reddit, etc etc. Reset NVRAM/PRAM, reset SMC, no luck. Try booting Command+D Diag. mode, and output on external monitor! However, white progress boot bar hangs at 1/2way for 3.6 hours. So I Safe Boot (Power+Shift). Finally, I can use my external monitor! I can get into my mac and mirror displays, so that I can offload my data. Great.

I know the int. screen isn't working-- that's not the discussion.

Here's the question: When I boot normally in clamshell-closed mode, external monitor works perfectly. But the second I open the lid (i.e. use keyboard) EVERYTHING GOES BLACK AND TURNS OFF. Then, I must boot into safe mode to use the mac again! And the cycle repeats itself... What is the culprit here? Iris video card, Logic board, loose internal connector, or all of the above? Is the internal display issue and this issue related at all?

P.S. Congrats for getting this far. I know the writing is dense.

Thank ya much,

Nick Flint

I have exactly the same issue with the same model (A1502). Are there any "soft" solutions for this problem? What about your macbook Nick? Did you fix it?

+1 same issue

same, anyone? motherboard problem?

Nick,

First: try disabling any power save and sleep feature in the System Settings.

Second: initiate a First Aid scan on the hard drive.

Third: Download any available updates from Apple.

Fourth: While you are in Safe Mode close the lid and open it again and see if the problem replicates.

If the problem does not replicate in Safe Mode it might be good to perform a fresh install after you back up your data.

This will tell you whether you have an issue with hardware or with the software.

I would love to hear the results of the steps above.

Thank you,

Michael

This doesn't sound like a video card issue, it sounds like a short circuit somewhere (maybe a blown cap or resistor? no way to tell without inspecting). Shutting down when you open the lid would indicate to me a safety mechanism when the unit detects a short or power spike trying to engage the primary display, and one of the involved chipsets terminates the power to avoid permanent damage. I don't believe it's a loose connector, because that isn't normally so predictable a result.

ATT!

I tried all of the soft reboot solutions and nothing worked.

I dug a little deeper and found information about the display cable and that it can become loose.

I simply tapped on the bottom of my MacBook a few times in the position of the cable and suddenly, there was life!

Had the exact same problem as you after my MBP had fallen off the bed.

Had a completely black screen - not even a backlight. Tried tapping on the casing near the display cable and pushing the black bar in at the back of the laptop but it did nothing. Tried resetting NVRAM/PRAM - nothing.

I realised that I could log in and suddenly the keyboard and Apple logo lit up and the backlight was working so I figured there was something wrong with the screen. Connected it to an external display and got nothing but then I tried booting it whilst pressing cmd + D and it worked on the external display, however it completely shut off as soon as I tried to log in.

Eventually realised I was going to have to open the case to see if the display cable was damaged. I've never done this before so was a bit nervous but I ordered a screwdriver set from Amazon and waited a couple of days. Followed the guide posted above to open the case and located the display cable. Tried wiggling it a little and screwed the case back together and frustratingly it did nothing. Almost gave up at that point and was resigned to the fact that I'd have to take it to get repaired.

However, I gave it one last go except this time I disconnected the battery and the display cable and plugged them back in. Put it all back together, turned it on and BOOM! Screen turns on, everything back to normal! So relieved that I've fixed it!

Thanks for all the advice in this thread, you're all lifesavers!

Rob

Nick Flint will be eternally grateful.