The third-generation Dodge Ram 1500 debuted in 2002. This model featured an all-new design including independent front suspension.

What and where is the ASD relay

I have lost all electrical power to my 07 Dodge. It is completely dead. I have checked the battery and fuses and all are ok. I have cleaned all ground connections I can find on the battery and cleaned the posts on the battery itself. Still no power. While looking through the internet I came across a relay called an ASD. I believe it stands for an automatic shutdown relay. I don't know where its located. Could this be the problem? Appreciate any ones help!! Thanks

It's the electronic ignition switch...the black thing on the left of your steering colume....cost $30

kudran, yes it can. The ASD relay is located in the Integrated Power Module (IPM), in the engine compartment. Refer to label on PDC cover for relay location.

To test the relay see if this helps. When the PCM energizes the ASD and fuel pump relays, terminal 87 connects to terminal 30.

This is the On position. Terminal 87 supplies voltage to the rest of the circuit.

The following procedure applies to the ASD and fuel pump relays.

(1) Remove relay from connector before testing.

(2) With the relay removed from the vehicle, use an ohmmeter to check the resistance between terminals 85 and 86. The resistance should be 75 ohms +/- 5 ohms.

(3) Connect the ohmmeter between terminals 30 and 87A. The ohmmeter should show continuity between terminals 30 and 87A.

(4) Connect the ohmmeter between terminals 87 and 30. The ohmmeter should not show continuity at this time.

(5) Connect one end of a jumper wire (16 gauge or smaller) to relay terminal 85. Connect the other end of the jumper wire to the ground side of a 12 volt power source.

(6) Connect one end of another jumper wire (16 gauge or smaller) to the power side of the 12 volt power source. Do not attach the other end of the jumper wire to the relay at this time.

WARNING: DO NOT ALLOW OHMMETER TO CONTACT TERMINALS 85 OR 86 DURING THIS TEST. DAMAGE TO OHMMETER MAY RESULT.

(7) Attach the other end of the jumper wire to relay terminal 86. This activates the relay. The ohmmeter should now show continuity between relay terminals 87 and 30. The ohmmeter should not show continuity between relay terminals 87A and 30.

(8) Disconnect jumper wires.

(9) Replace the relay if it did not pass the continuity and resistance tests. If the relay passed the tests, it operates properly. Check the remainder of the ASD and fuel pump relay circuits.

You may be going down a very deep rabbit hole. Remember that Chrysler had incredible trouble, including multiple lawsuits and recall's based on TIPM issues. I've just gone through $$$$ repairs based on TIPM issues...... so your issue may not be isolated to the ASD relay.

This is the best explanation on this problem yet. Thank you very much. I will try it in the am as it is night fall here now.

oldturkey03, My attempt at the ASD relay test procedure you had previously supplied failed as I could not find it. I discovered that my PCM is a total integrated power module (TIPM) and the relay function of the ASD is integrated in a solid state circuit board situated beneath the fuse board of the TIPM. There are no relays on the top fuse board on my vehicles TIPM. I am totally confused now as to how I can trouble shoot this solid state relay. I am unable to explain this finding very well but if anyone can follow me and has a solution please let me know.

kudran, can you take some high res pictures of your TIPM and the general area? Also, take one of the inside of the IPM cover. Post those with your question. Here is a guide on how to do that Adding images to an existing question

oldturkey03, I went back to my original question and inserted pictures of my 07 Dodge ram 1500's TIPM and the Bar Code on the side of the Module enclosure. Its not very clear but its the best I can do for now. The TIPM had been removed from the vehicle so it does not show you the surrounding area but it is situated next to the battery on the drivers side of the engine enclosure. As you may tell there are no relays on the board and although the lid identifying the circuits is not clear it does not specify a relay as well. Any suggestions would help since those TIPM's are very expensive. I understand that these modules are rebuilt and sold again. Is that true? Perhaps you may know of a place that rebuilds them. As you can see I am grasping at straws.

Hold off and don't quit just yet. Yes the TIPM are expensive. Replaced one for a Jeep GC for $1200 . There might still be ways around this. Can you take a couple of pictures of your engine compartment? I understand your frustration, but doing this over the internet is like fixing your TIPM through the tailpipe of your truck with a pair of knitting needles:-) I just triple checked the 2007 service manual and it still shows the same thing. What exact engine size is your 2007?

I'm having a simular problem I'm trying to check the a/c relay before I replace my condenser fan which is not spinning at all but I can't find even one relay under hood or in cab. System been vac out and recharged when sitting still hot air blows out vents but when u r driving over 20mph the ac is cold as ice. Also turned ac on and checked fan it not working and checked all fuses was about to buy new fan and my buddy told me check relays so here we r. And finally is the blower motor inside easy to change.

The TIPM in the first picture is the correct model he was asking about. You posted a reference for an older model version, The correct info needs to be updated as this is totally inaccurate and im just a novice and know the difference

kudran will be eternally grateful.