Second generation of Wi-Fi iPad, released on March 11, 2011. Model number A1395. Repair is difficult and will require heat.

iPad 2 Speaker Sound is Crackling/Distorted?

Hi there!

I've been asked to repair an iPad 2 with a broken speaker. Whenever there is any sound played on the device through Music, Ringtones or Youtube etc. the speaker crackles and sounds slightly distorted.

Fair enough I thought, I'll just replace the speaker. I replaced the speaker and tried it, still the same result - crackling and slightly distorted. I thought that maybe it was a faulty part, so I returned the speaker and received a replacement. However, even with the replacement - it is still the same. I'm completely puzzled as to what exactly is causing this :-(.

I was wondering if anyone else had came across this problem, hopefully with a solution?

Thank you for your help and kind regards.

-Bob.

I've tried everything but none of these work. My iPad‘s speaker still sounds distorted. :(

Yep, same with my iPad speaking. I like to have the volume up near the max but the distortion drives me insane. I purchased a sound box & that has been brilliant. But yesterday the sound box just stopped working so I'm back online to purchase another sound box. It's the only answer to the distortion to date.

Hi guys,

I had the exact same issue with my ipad2. So I decided to do some research and found your input of replacing speakers without succes. I did some more research and found another suggestion from Sweetwater.com which worked a treat for me. So I tried pasting the link but it won't let me. So... Here are the steps explained and hopefully, it will work for you too. I am extremely grateful to have found a solution that fixed my problem. Good luck and I hope that it works for you too. Thank you so much Sweetwater and to you Fixit for providing a platform where we can share our issues and find solutions as well as saving a lot of money. Thanks to you we are also not throwing things away which will save the environment in return too. So... Here it is:

Reset by holding home button and lock button at the same time until the small Apple logo appears on the screen. Reset your device by going to ...Setting s> General > Reset > and select Reset all settings. ( I couldn't find my reset option so I searched in general settings, found it and selected it. ) This does not erase any Data but you will need to reset wi-fi . I hope that this helps. I am a very happy Chappy as I couldn't afford to take it to Apple as they probably would have told me to get a new one. As mine is maybe too old for them. It now works fine.

All the best.

Ninjabat.

Had the same problem and a reset restored back to normal,

Worked Perfectly! Thank you so much I was freaking out!

Thanks my ipad went back to normal :)

Thanks. Worked for me too.

Wonderful ! Your suggestion worked. At first I thought that it's all over for iPad with screeching sound..pressed home button and lock button till a logo appeared. After that keys are working normal

my ipad2 has only right side speaker, so need to change seetings as below

settings --> general --> accessibility --> Hearing section , turn mono audio On and slide the pointer to R from nuetral.

I am using iPad 2 as well and this worked. I thought my speaker was blown ! Thanks mate!

Thank you it worked for me

thanks adam jim as noted below.

Worked for me as well. Brilliant.

I used this solution for my wife's ipad. Now I'm a HERO!

As simple as it may sound sometimes if the holes are blocked where the sound comes out for the speaker it can effect the quality of the sound. If you haven't tried already use some compressed air in that area and see if that helps.

Hi there, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I have already tried that. However I do have an update. I went through all the Accessibility settings and if I turn Mono Audio on and have just one of the speakers chosen on the slider (the right one I'm sure it was). Then it works fine.

If I move the slider to the opposite speaker then all it does is crackle/distort. I've tried this with both the new and old speaker with same result. I'm guessing there's a problem with an IC or another component on the board. So I'm going to take a look and see if I can either reflow or replace the broken IC/Component.

Thanks again for your input though :).

Edit: Typos.

thanks for your advice Adam Jim , thats why I always go google and find out, apple saying I need to go an apple store, your tricked worked, maybe because of the latest ipad pro with dual speakers. looking to upgrade

thanks again.

I've tried all that but nothing worked :(

I tried everything! But it still crackles!!

Craig Nicholls will be eternally grateful.