Repair guides and support for coffee makers by Keurig including the K-Cup systems.

Why is it spitting coffee/grounds from top?

Wet coffee grounds are spitting out the top instead of dispensing into cup making a huge mess. We have tried cleaning, wiping and probing, same result. Where/what is the problem?

I have cleaned the needles both top and bottom and descaled machine.... What else parts are put back together. Reviews on this model are terrible!, say away from it

I'm using Keurig K-cups (not reusable) in a Keurig 2.0.

I have completed this cleaning routine over and over.

The unit is only 6 months old and only used by me maybe 5 cups per week.

It isn't random coups, but tends to be cups from a given box....improperly ground coffee? It then tends to happen to numerous cups until I give the rest to someone else.

Seal is pliable and intact and point is sharp.

Several forums just keep talking about cleaning out the grounds; that doesn't resolve the issue.

(and iFixit...I need more reputation points to indicate an answer wasn't helpful? I'm not "voting someone down" as your pop-up indicates, I'm simply indicating that didn't resolve the issue)

The issue will be with the black rubber grommet that should be in place around the base of the top spike. You have to look / feel upwards with fingers. A light will help. It provides the seal on top of the K-cups. If it is missing, it will leak. If it is dirty/ damaged/ covered with dry grounds, it will leak. Another post has a link to where to get replacements for just a couple of dollars if it is missing / needs replacement. Don't be told you are using the wrong brand coffee. Walmart brand works equally well.

Seal isn't missing!!! Still pumps out grounds from top! Most likely culprit is the seal is not thick enough to stop grounds from pumping out of the top when the last pressure is used to force water out of kcup! personaly I think this whole design is flawed! Where else are the grounds going to go when pressurized water then air push them through the bottom hole sometimes blocking it pushing the upper hole and other times it goes through the bottom hole!! Absolutely no filtering system or the grounds are too small!! Keurig really needs a real engineer to fix this problem instead of guessers sitting in a board room!!!!

New Battery = Faster iPhone
Fix Kits starting at $16.99

Karri Glass, take a look at the puncture needle areas and make sure that bottom one is not clogged. That would cause all the pressure from the K-cup to go to the top. Step 2 on this guide should help you with that.

Tried this to no avail!!

HEY EVERYBODY!!!! This is not a hard fix.... K-cups spit coffee and the grounds overflow into your coffee mug because the seal isn't tight enough on top of the k-cup to stop the leaking. That's the problem most of the time (or you are packing too much coffee into your plastic k-cup and there is no place for the water to go) This fix on Ebay is a couple bucks and stops the leaking by adding pressure to the seal and installs in 2 minutes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/271239290594

My seal looks fine and I guess I do not understand why two different keurigs would have the same issue and one has hardly been used! It is not just leaking as grounds explode and go everywhere.

If you look up at the top needle you should see a black rubber grommit around the base (top) of the needle. This presses down on the top of the coffee pod to seal it.

I found ours had come off/fallen out and was laying on the counter top. It looked like a rubber foot for the coffee machine but there were none missing and I nearly threw it away.

Refitting it to the needle cured the leaking problem.

I had the exact same thing happen!!! Couldn't figure out where it went. No mention of it in the parts section of the manual. Glad I saved it!! Thanks!

Used ma green tea cup and it worked fine.

There is an easy fix on ebay that can fix this. IT'S A NEW PART FOR KEURIG BREWERS THAT FITS INTO THE BREWER'S LID WHICH TIGHTENS THE SEAL ON THE K-CUP lid to stop water and coffee and grounds from escaping when the brewer pumps water into the K-cup. It's about $3 and is money back guaranteed. Check the list provided for machine model this fits into.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/271239290594

Okay so there's a tiny little gasket around the top needle. This had come off for some reason causing my problem, thus the grounds spewing because there was nothing to hold things secure around the needle !$$&*. Solution: Called Keurig (they are wonderful) and they offered to send out a new gasket (free of charge and this was an older machine) along with a special tool it takes to get the gasket installed securely.

I recommend using a flashlight and looking at the base of the needle on top to see if the necessary little rubber grommet looking gasket somehow has dislodged and gotten discarded on the top of a K-cup most likely! Then call Keurig and see if they will help remedy your problem?

Kari, It sounds like you are trying to brew with a Keurig My-K reusable cup. Am I right? Check to be sure you removed the cup holder that came with the machine and replaced it with the My-K reusable filter. Here is a link to a video that explains how that is done. But you may still have some spitting coffee because Keurig My-K cups don't really work too well unless you modify the machine with the easy fix kit discussed elsewhere in this topic. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh7EC_cO...

There is an easy fix on ebay that may fix this. It's a new part that fits into the Keurig lid that tightens the seal on the K-cup lid to stop water and coffee and grounds from escaping when the brewer pumps water into the K-cup. It's about $3 and is money back guaranteed. Check the list provided for machine model this fits into.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLASTIC-REFILLAB...

It might be the use of K-cups that do not comply with Keurig design. These can cause too large of a hole to form at the top causing a leaky seal. Try using K-cups with the Keurig name, logo or both. The hole that gets made in the top should be more of a small circular nature rather than a larger triangular opening.

All K cups have been Keurig brand - mostly Green Mountain. Very frustrating when I just paid $149.00 for a pot and wasted about $25 worth of K cups trying to get a cup of coffee that isn't just a cup of water full of grounds.

Your reusable k-cups need to be changed. I just had that problem and getting new k-cups worked

This problem is common to most brands of reusable - refillable k-cups. If you have one that does not leak after several weeks please tell us the brand.

I have no issues with folgers. However Dunkin Donuts and McCafe I have issues.

This is caused by the reusable k cups. Change those and the problem is solved .

This problem is common to most brands of reusable - refillable k-cups. If you have one that does not leak after several weeks please tell us the brand..

My brand new machine puts grounfds in McCafe but not Victor Allen why?

I've used several cofree maker brands. They all suffer from the same flaw. It's the pods. The pod manufacturers are not using sufficient adhesive to attach the top cover. The cover pulls free from the pod when the coffee maker lid is closed. I've had this occur more often with the Gloria Jean brand than any other but all brands have this flaw.

Karri Glass will be eternally grateful.