Not enough disk space? Need a backup solution? External drives provide you with extra storage in your office or on the go. Learn how to repair them here.

External hard drive won't power on or show up in disk utility

Noob question: I've plugged my new 500GB hard drive into the external silicone case and plugged the attached USB cable into my mac. I would like to format it but it does not appear on may Macbook Pro.

The hard drive makes no noise and it does not show up in disk utility or in finder etc.

I did notice there was no power connector inside the silicone case. Is there a connector missing? - see pic below.

Try changing USB ports.

The larger connector is the power connector and the smaller one next to it is for the data. Does the drive work on or in another computer when not using the external case?

Mayer is right. Can I see the Sata connection again? You cut it off the second half of the pic

And1 will be eternally grateful.