A television game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment, first announced February 20, 2013 and released November 15, 2013.

ps4 wont read disc, just spinning and stops SOLVED!

I have trouble with my ps4. When I insert a disc on the drive unit, it starts spinning but after a few seconds it stops. Then it starts spinning again and stops. This continiu again and again. After a few minutes, DISC IS NOT RECOGNIZED. This happends with FIFA 14 and spiderman blueray movie.

I have clear the data base, unplugged the PS4 and I am out of ideas. Any help?

Here is a link of how it sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_AFaJ09...

I'm having the exact same problems I tryed a DVD it worked then a couple of try's later a PS4 game worked check it reads DVD if so it thinks the bluray ain't an original and can't support it..I'm going to try unplugging for 24 hours then il update again...

I tried the method I saw on you tube but soon realized that I had a 1200 series unlike the one in the video mine had 2 screws and a different disc drive completely. Is there a way to fix the 1215A model?

Nvm. Fixed it like the day after I posted. Was pretty simple. Works perfect now.

What was your problem I'm having the same

After reading posts and saw videos on you tube I decide to open the PS4 and inspect the drive unit.

One thing that I remembered was that the last disc I insert before the PS4 dont take any more discs, was a dvd with a sticker on it. Well, when I open the drive unit SURPRISE, the label of that disc was stick on the spinning part and it blocks the laser from reading correctly the discs.

I remove the sticker, clean the glue and reassambly all the ps4 and It works.

Now I can play movies and games normally.

Thanks for your help

Best Regards.

This is a fairly common problem with PS4's. You'll need to replace the drive or the laser at a minimum. Usually just replacing the laser will fix this issue, but sometimes they need the entire drive replaced.

I hope this helps.

My problem is that my PS4 won't read blu ray disks, both game disks and movies. I've tried reinstalling the current update and rebuilding the database, hasn't worked. When I insert a blu ray game or movie, PS4 rumbles and spins for a bit, then stops, then repeats several times until it says unrecognized disk. I'm left to think the laser or disc drive needs to be replaced. Any idea? Thanks

I have had this issue and the only thing I have been able to do is eject the disc then restart with the disc ejected. It then will start spinning and if I launch the game directly after doing this I can play the game without a hitch. However if I put it into rest mode it doesn't always come out of it. If the game gets suspended it will not always play afterwards. Say I stop to watch some netflix for a bit and come back, it just doesn't want to read anymore.

The lazer replaced?

No no no. this system is brand new. It has Nothing to do with the lazer.

I stuck a butter knife in mine and pressed the disc down and it works now

I took a hammer to mine now it doesn't play anything at all what can I do

I feel like taking a shower with mine, scrub each other's backs

Just replaced the lens in my ps4 and now it only read disc when i stand it vertical.

Ridiculous isn't it. Sony's reputation as a lead manufacturer of high quality electricals is being mocked by their jewel in the crown. The ps3 had issues and I had to practice all sorts of rituals to get it to work sometimes. The ps4 is 10 times worse it seems. The ps5 will probably spontaneously combust and claim the lives of children who aren't old enough to know that PlayStations have a dark side from 3upwards. I used to laugh at my friends who bought xboxs knowing full well it had the 'redring' shenanigans in store for them. At least Microsoft were open in saying their product had a limited life but was costing significantly less than the ps. What's sony's excuse? I feel like I've been &&^&@@ by them, literally sodomised

My ps4 regularly either won't eject discs or won't accept them. I'm quite sure its something to do with the manual eject screw. When my ps4 doesn't suck in the disc I put it in the drive then turn the manual eject screw the opposite way until it's all the way in. If the manual eject screw is a bit tight then keep on turning until you feel it go loose then tighten again then go back a slight bit to where it feels slightly loose then power on your ps4, it should start reading now, once mine didn't so what I did was carried on turning the manual eject screw the opposite way and eventually I heard a click, I stopped and powered on the ps4 and it started to read the disc again. Hope this helps!

My PS4 does a pattern of noises, then it sounds as if I placed the cd again. After doing the pattern a second time, it says 'unrecognized disc'. I tried it with several cds but it doesn't work. Please help me!

aye bruh me too

i got that same problem and i got my ps4 2 year's

I'm having trouble with mine at the moment and it's a new copy of fifa18 it won't read properly. Exactly what happened with fifa17 last year, coincidence or not? I exchanged fifa17 for a different copy and the 2nd worked fine, I intend to swap fifa18 for a new copy unless I can get help here.

I've initialised the system twice, once partial and the other the full reboot that takes hours, still no success and I'm not pleased truth be told. Bought it 3 years ago, not sure what model it is but it's 3 yo. I have neglected it in truth, hardly gets used and has never been cleaned properly, the vents must be full of crap, could this be a reason for the malfunction? I'm not brave enough to start taking it to pieces

Any advice on how to solve this sh*t?

Thanks, Mike

Yep its a common problem with PS4s.

Mine does the exact same thing, makes a ton of noise & says "Cannot start the application"

The disc will not read until i eject the disc, start application & re insert disc.

Don't listen to Playstation support, restoring your database won't do a thing.

The problem is their crappy Chinese mass production of the ps4.

No dust isn't the problem.

Mine is 1 year old & it's doing the same thing.

I'm betting it has something to do with anti piracy.

It's as though the Ps4 thinks an invalid disc is inserted.

The only solution is buy a new one.

PlayStation even stopped taking consoles for repair.

Guess they figure their customers aren't important now they're rich as Microsoft.

I picked up a broken PS4 a few weeks back, after fixing it I was having the same issue. Take out the disc drive, remove the metal cover and get some rubbing alcohol - clean the sliders that take the disc in but also clean the laser eye. Use Q-tips and gentle clean the laser.

This is pretty straight forward and will take you less than 1hour to do. Just ensure you have a T8 security torx screw driver on hand.

Give this a try and see, while in there blow any dust out of it.

No it has nothing to do with the laser. If it were the laser the thing would not read discs at all.

If you'd been paying attention you would see it does.

It's PlayStation's dodgy hardware.

We shouldn't have to pull our consoles apart, they should work we paid $500.

Rodrigo will be eternally grateful.