Released in 2012. A mirrorless digital camera with an interchangeable lens manufactured by Sony.

Why is my camera not recognising the camera lens?

My SONY NEX-5R when turning on, gives the message "lens not recognised attach properly" when the lens has been correctly mounted?

Googling indicates many people are having this problem. The only affordable answer I've found - but not tried yet - is a paper shim, discussed on a DP Review forum.

I have a SONY NEX-5 with the same problem. I do know what the cause is in this case because I caused the problem. I damaged the camera myself, squashing the first, second and third lens contacts on the camera body by attaching a poorly fitting telescope adapter. The damage is visibly serious, and I would appreciate suggestions that would help me repair it.

I infer from my experience that any such problem is related to failure of electrical connection between the lens and camera. Dirty contacts are one possible source of difficulty. I suggest that finding a colleague with a SONY camera with a compatible E-mount lens would help in isolating the problem. Interchanging lenses between the cameras should tell you where the problem lies, in your lens, in your camera, or on the contacts themselves. Visual inspection of both lens and camera body electrodes may reveal your problem. If a body electrode is not protruding as far as others that may be the problem.

I have been quoted a service price of $300 Canadian by a local repairman, but I would rather spend $548 US to replace the body with a SONY a1600 if I have to.

Lloyd Robinson will be eternally grateful.