First generation Apple iPad with Wi-Fi, available with 16, 32, or 64 GB. Model Number A1219. Repairs are straightforward and do not require heat.

How to fix a stuck power button?

I recently dropped my iPad when it slipped off my lap. (Less than 2 feet.) It landed on the power button and now the button is stuck. The iPad itself works completely fine, however, I am unable to manually turn off the screen or perform a reset.

How can I unstuck the merely stuck power button?

Most Helpful Answer

the metal that keeps the power button in place is most likely bent.

i would open the ipod and try to slightly bent it back - but be careful with that

use the front panel guide to open the ipad, stop at step 8 - the button is now in front of you and you can try to slightly push it outwards

good luck

I am not too sure the answer listed above would be best choice since the guide to opening the front panel suggest I don't attempt this its permanent damage to the hinges.

Any other suggestions on how I can "unstuck" the power button. Thanks.

the power button isn't more than a piece of plastic, 2 metal foils, a ribbon cable, a piece of "scotch tape" and a small metal frame - so the options are very limited

I think markus weiher was right. You need to open the case first in order set it right.

Ridiculous opinion but worth trying:

Maybe you can use SIM removal tool for trying to unstuck the button.

I drop my iPad on the floor and the power button when in and I don't know how to fix it I need help

I have exactly the same circumstances, dropped two feet and power button stuck in.... luckily Apple has in built workarounds for this, the iPad will always power up if the battery goes, you can do a reset by holding the home button but it will only go blank then show the Apple logo in repetition, but you attach your lightning cable to charge and your iPad will turn on, also turn on your on screen home button and add functions such as screenshot, lock screen etc, and your iPad will function as normal, in fact I find it better. Mines has carried on for several months now no problems at all, bit concerned when I first did a reset with the home button but attaching the charger brought it on. Now I am to attempt to free the power button, I am not sure if I should as all is good but I experiment so first I gently filed round the power button to remove any sharp edges. Now I am going to heat up a needle, bore a tiny hole in the centre of the button, and use a tiny screw (from an old dismantlement iPhone) and hopefully screw in to pull out. Obviously not a hammer and grinder job. I don't advise opening your iPad, they are not really designed to be opened without using new parts, many have ruined their iPad trying as there is a cable which breaks if you pull the screen up too far so don't try this option... even Apple suggests replacement over repair. But if you follow the above workarounds, you should have no problem. Twice I lost sound but the reset fixed this.

James Kim will be eternally grateful.