Repair guides and support for the Canon Speedlite 430EX II external flash assembly.

Why isnt it turning on?

I checked the batts, even tried new ones and still it wont turn on. Is there some explanation for this? I really confusing and i really would like to know the problem before i buy a new one

Check the battery contacts for corrosion - typewriter eraser pencils are ideal for polishing the contacts. The ON/OFF switch can fail - try pushing down as you slide the switch. The switch can be repaired for less than the cost of a new flashgun, as long as you don't go to Canon that is...

Mine did the same thing, and it was battery corrosion - only a tiny bit, barely noticeable, but enough to break the contact. Rubbed it with the eraser end of a pencil, and put the battery back in and it worked. I'll now get some rubbing alcohol and clean it properly.

Was about to replace my $300 Speedlite 430EX II, came here, checked the contacts in the battery compartment and boom! Quick scrape and all good.

Thank you guys, had the exact same of the battery compartment with the corrosion. Glad I found this.

itodak will be eternally grateful.