Loose Charging Port on H800 Headset

Bought this Logitech H800 wireless headset refurbished and it worked well for a year, but now the micro-usb charging port has become loose and needs to be at a precise angle for the headset to charge.

This means I can still charge it if I wrap the cord around it and leave it over night to get the charger sticking in at the right angle, but one of the nicest features was that I could use it plugged in if the battery died and that no longer seems to be an option since I can't get the angle right when it's on my head.

Since it's off warranty, does anyone have advice on trying to correct this issue?

Most Helpful Answer

Well sorta... Not what I originally stated.

Found a new refurb headset was $35 on eBay, and there are now.available micro USB adapters. The adapters come as a.set with a proprietary cable/connector that attaches MAGNETICALLY to the little uUSB plug, which is intended to be left in the phone, headset, or whatever device you are charging. Essentially a retrofit so now my headset is alot like some new phones, where if the cable gets a tug it just snaps away and my device sees no damage. Seemed like a better long-term idea than my previous notion. (but no help for your already damaged uUSB connector).

These magnetic adapters & cables are about $3 on eBay direct from China, prolly get cheaper over time. I have an adapter in all 3 of my micro USB devices now for about a week... Kinda early yet to know if it's a real fix... But seems ok so far.

One caveat I've found buying these magnetic adapters is there is there doesn't appear to be an industry standard on the magnetic connector part, meaning the plugs may only mate to the cable-end from that vendor.

It can be open and access to USB plug, but you will need tools to unsolder the plug and a replacement.

I have the same issue, now on both h800's so time to fix rather than keep buying new.

I assume the micro usb jack is only using the 2 power pins (5v & ground), making it a little less challenging.

And as I keep breaking these by getting out of the truck forgetting that it's plugged-in charging, x I need a design that is more forgiving.

I plan to salvage a female micro USB connector from a cable and solder it in with the new jack hanging about 2-3cm out of the headphones on a short stub of cable.

The idea is IF I forget again, at least the pull should be straight out and simply unplug, rather than some angle and break.

Will check back with progress...

Any progress on this?

I am on my third one .. headset works great, use it all day long but after a while the jack gets loose and then won't make the connection... design problem

In my case the design problem was not with the micro USB connector, but with human factors.

They didn't take into account someone (me) would get out of the car forgetting the headset is still plugged-in.... and yank, duh. I was surprised how many times it survived before becoming intermittent.

But after about a year now using the magnetic adapter/cable retrofit, those problems are over.

But over also is wearing the headset while charging and driving, as the magnetic connector isn't strong enough to hold when moving my head much.

Well at least I'm now I'm finding new ways to break these headsets.... try not to sit on them.

Off topic but... has anyone found a better bluetooth stereo headset WITH a boom-mic than H800?

I ask, as I still get annoyed at the very limited phone controls from headset buttons. Every ear-bud style headset has full controls.

Rob Fishbook will be eternally grateful.