Water stopped getting dispensed from refrigerator, all of a sudden :(

Samsung - 29.0 Cu. Ft. French Door Refrigerator with Thru-the-Door Ice and Water - Stainless-Steel

Bought this refrigerator couple years back. All is good, until a few hours ago... as water stopped coming out of the dispenser. Recently (about a month ago) changed the water filter (used Samsumg filter) and all was well until today.

• - Note that water stopped coming out all of a sudden. My wife used it a few minutes ago to get some water... but now no more water comes out of the dispenser.
  • - When I remove the filter, water is getting dispensed at good speed, but when I put back the filter (the same that I was using the last 30 days), water stops.
  • - I bought a different filter and see the same result. Not even sputtering (the thing that usually happens the first few minutes when a new filter gets inserted)... it's like blank.. no water at all.
  • - Can hear the humming sound when the dispenser gets clicked.
  • - No leakage.
  • - All the other lights on the control panel are glowing.
  • - Emptied ice bucket and see that new ice is being made.

Can really use some help here :(

If you look at the water filter there are two o-rings. That's because one is for water going into the filter (the center o-ring) and the other is for the water leaving the filter (outer o-ring). That means there are two spring loaded valves in the filter housing that allow the water to flow through the filter or bypass when there is no filter. For some reason over time one of them doesn't completely open. In my case it was the water flowing out of the filter. I know this because the new filter was full of water when I pulled it back out. I learned from another online forum that you can put a bead of hot glue around both center surface (don't block the hole) and larger surface. This builds up the face of the filter and effectively allows the valves to open wider.

Mossimo, can you give me the link to the other forum?

Thanks - I'm having the same problem.

Hey Brandi, it actually might have been this forum. I might have written in error. I'm still having trouble with mine where the hot glue doesn't stay on. I'm going to try a 5 minute epoxy next.

Screw Samsung and there filter. Just remove filter and replace with a inline filter behind fridge. That's what I did and have no more problems. All Samsung fridges have same problem but they don't care so don't buy their filters.

Water Tube in Door is Frozen

If the refrigerator water dispenser is not working the water supply tube in the door may be frozen. This will be difficult to track down. Look for a connection point at the bottom or top of the door, try removing the hose and blowing air through it and out the dispenser. If air passes through, it's not frozen. If not, thaw it out. and determine where it froze in the door. Most doors are foamed in with a sleeve the water line goes thru to the dispenser. The freezer temp should be kept from 0 to 10 degrees Fahrenheit. If it is too cold the water line in the door may freeze.

Water Inlet Valve

If the water dispenser is not working the water pressure from the house might be too low. Water inlet valves require a minimum of 20 psi to function properly. If the pressure is good and the water filter is good, replace the water inlet valve.

Dispenser Control Board

How it Works:

If the refrigerator water dispenser is not working the dispenser control board might be defective. The control board governs most of the functions of the dispenser system. If only one item of the dispenser system is not working, troubleshoot further to see if the problem is with one of the components in the system. The board is more likely to be the cause of the problem when the entire dispensing system fails.

Dispenser Switch

If the refrigerator water dispenser is not working, one of the dispenser switches might be defective. The dispenser switch is activated by the dispenser actuator. The switch can be checked for continuity with an Ohm meter. If it doesn’t have continuity it should be replaced.

Door Switch

How it Works:

If the refrigerator water dispenser is not working, the door switch might be defective. When the freezer door is opened the freezer door switch does two things, it turns on the light in the freezer and turns off the ice and water dispenser. If the door switch fails the dispenser will not turn on. The switch can be checked for continuity with an Ohm meter. If it doesn’t have continuity it should be replaced.

Check whether your water hose to the refrigerator has a safety shutoff valve designed to stop water flow if the hose breaks. When I replaced my Samsung refrigerator water filter, apparently that left a void such that water flowed too fast and shut off that safety valve. That fooled me for a while. To reset the valve you have to unscrew it from the water source (with the manual shutoff valve closed, of course). Then reconnect it and turn the manual valve just barely on, to allow a slow flow of water until all the air is out of the system. Then open it all the way.

Bic Mitchum will be eternally grateful.