Released June 2012, Model A1278. Intel processor with Turbo Boost, Up to 512 MB DDR5 Video RAM

whats wrong with my trackpad?

hi...

my right side of my trackpad doesnt function properly? it doesnt have the same "click" sound as it did yesterday or as the left side currently does. it also doesnt feel the same.

any advice?

Retina or standard? I've heard some complaints of battery swelling in retina models causing this problem. After a little bit more research this can be a problem on the standard MBP as well.

Most Helpful Answer

this is most likely a swelled battery, if it happens so suddenly, just take apart and remove and replace battery.

could try removing battery and testing the touch pad so you know if that was the cause.

this could be true actually because it was telling me to "service" my battery...

what do i do now then?

If it's a non-retina model, you can purchase a replacement battery: MacBook Pro 15" Unibody (Early 2011 through Mid 2012) Battery

If it's a retina model iFixit sells it the battery as part of upper case assembly:

MacBook Pro 15" Retina (Mid 2012/Early 2013) Upper Case Assembly

but i cant take the battery out can i??

If you have a non-retina model, you have to open the case, but the battery is removable: MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Mid 2012 Battery Replacement

If you have a retina model, the batteries are glued in but removing the bottom cover may provide enough relief to free up your trackpad.

okay what are they key signs of the battery swelling?

You will have to change your trackpad, It's the button underneath that doesn't click anymore. You can always first try to just take it out and look for the buttons if they're still in the right position, or if your battery isn't swollen. otherwise you'll have to change it.

Ben Bassett will be eternally grateful.