Distributed by Verizon, the Ellipsis 7 is an Android 4.4 KitKat tablet that features a 7" display and a quad-core 1.2 GHz processor. Can also be identified with the model number QMV78.

There is Chinese and Japanese on my screen

There is either Chinese or Japanese characters displayed on my screen and my tablet won't turn off or on.

I had this issue-took it to verizon-they kept pushing the buttons-now it is locked up-any suggestions? They said to let the battery die and then plug it in-should solve the problem.

Mine froze up with japanese writing and no buttons at all would work. I let it run all the way down, charged it over night and everything came back like brand new. I would like to thank everyone here for sharing.

Pop the back cover off and disconnect the battery cable. Wait 10 seconds... Plug the cable back in. Restart and there ya go.

^^^ worked for me

In my case, the chinese characters appear on my start screen, not the problem mentioned above that laptop won't turn off, this works fine. How do I get rid of the characters?

here is what you need to do in the case of this. use the volume down button to scroll to the bottom and last option on the screen. press the volume up button to select and it will start your device normaly

Thank you micharyans it worked

Thank you. I appreciate the help. This worked perfectly

I had this problem and this worked to correct it. Thanks!

It worked for me today. Thank you!

This worked! Thought I was going to have to use Google Translate lol

Here's a pic of the menu with translation. Use volume down to scroll through the menus and volume up to select the one you want. To do a factory restore on a device, choose the wipe eMMC menu. Hope this helps.

thanks for the translation! solves 1/3 of my problem.

im stuck in a reboot loop. %#*@ thing gets halfway through the Verizon splashscreen then reboots, sometimes sooner but never later.

'

tried everything i can think of. i cant even get it to be detected in any way, shape, form or mode on any computer to be able to try diagnosing it there.

a customer of mine, who is notoriously unable to use any companys customer support beyond the initial "para espanol oprima numero dos" prompt before becoming irate (no, really I'd call them a moron, but they bring me a whole lot of business so i keep my mouth shut) , brought it to me with the boot loop issue.

they have since replaced it and it has become another random piece of e-waste in my pile. Im not sure about what contract/agreement they had with verizon on it, and im not them so i cant even call verizon to try to fix it.

Ive tried everything i can possibly think of and nothing works or even remotely improves the situation.

Any thoughts?

Don't bother calling Verizon either local or their TN support center, because they're clueless. If the warranty period runs out before the problem is fixed, that's when they check out totally. You are stuck with it!

I also appreciate the translation of the Chinese menu. My problem isn't yet fixed, but when the Chinese menu does appear, I will know what I am clicking on.

There is documation for a Pwr.+ Vol.Up routine that's supposed to do a reset, but doesn't and I discovered a similar undocumented routine, Pwr.+ Vol.Dwn, that brings up a tiny menu on the left side with 3 options. One them is to be selected using Vol.Up and activated using Vol.Dn. Interesting, but useless as it doesn't work.

Well, I am now back to the Android boot screen. If I can bring up the Chinese again, I'll try go for a restore using the "wipe eMMC" option.

My thanks to all here who have tried to help!

Thank you so much for the help. I thought I was going to have to buy a new one. It is working now . And Verizon wouldn't help me at all.

you said that remove from the battery cable. but my phone is battery nonremovable and i got stuck in chinese writings, should i let the battery die?

I tried the manual test by mistake what do I do now?

One other piece of advice:

top of tablet wher you have the power key, to the right is an open slot in

frame to insert a Sim card, you can separate the bottom case from top there by

pushing both apart, in once you expose the battery you can unplug it for a

minute and re plug it close it up should fix it, if not a replacement

tablet can be ordered via ewa.verizon.com.

For me the following worked, which is what people already said above:

1) Simultaneously press the power button and the volume up button at the same time.

2) Use the volume down button to go down to highlight the last line which is believed to be a reboot. The 9th line of asian characters.

3) Press the center of the volume button, to select that last line. Once doing this the tablet started to reboot.

I had taken my phone to out local Verizon store and they couldn't figure anything out so they told me to let the battery die and it would reset itself. It did and everything was the way it was before it locked up.

Hope this helps.

Hi Kellie,

First, try a soft reset. If that doesn't work, let me know.

I am not familiar with a "soft reset"...How do I do that?

This just happened to my tablet as well; I tried a soft reset and a system reset but it is not responsive. Any suggestions?

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU IM SCREAMING i needed to reset the tablet my fiance's parents gave him because they didn't remember the password, and i was clueless at the EMCC selection, THE CENTER!! HOW GENIUS @barbara ocone

I got tired of waiting for my tablet to die since it started at 100% battery life. I downloaded Google Translate onto my phone and used the camera option to translate the Chinese (yes, it's Chinese) to English so I could read the menu. The bottom option of the main menu said "reset smart phone". I used the volume button to scroll to that option and the power button to select it. My tablet immediately reset and went back to normal.

I do not have the options to scroll through .... suggestions?

The screen has 5 Chinese characters the eMMC data with another Chinese symbol after that.

I brought a tablet phone and it's not working it keeps on saying emergency calls I can't even download Google play can someone help me please

the problem is the volume up is like the volume down, the volume up also scrolls up the menu and didn't select like you guys said.. any help?

Kellie m will be eternally grateful.