Repair guides and support for cars and trucks by Ford Motor Company.

How do I get the door ajar light to go off

All doors are shut but the door ajar light keeps coming on.

Ford explorer sport track

I have a 2005 Ford fusion 1400cc

The door ajur light is on all the time and I can't lock the car with the remote I am assuming it's the light that is causing the problem can any body help please

Hi @woodturner63 ,

Have you checked that all the doors (and boot) are shut correctly?

Open 1 door at a time and find the door light switch in the door frame (it may be under a rubber boot which you can leave on. It is spring loaded so you can push it in and it will come out by itself when you release it) and manually operate and release it a few times to see if you can make the light go on and off. Do this for all doors. Remember to only have 1 door open at a time when you do this.

If the light doesn't go out then you may have a faulty door switch or the wiring to one switch may have shorted out to the chassis. The trick is to find out which one.

New Battery = Faster iPhone
Fix Kits starting at $16.99

One of the sensors might be failing or broken. You'll have to open each sensor and check its connections to see if they are good. Then disconnect all of the sensors and test them one at a time and replace the one that isn't working.

EDIT: These images show what most of the door sensors look like on newer cars, they can either be on the car body where the door will press against it when closed or on the door where it will be pressed against the car body when the door is closed.

I am new to this where are the sensors?

They are in different places on every car, essentially they are like a little button that you can push in with your finger, on most new cars they are covered with a bit of rubber so they are not as visible.

They can either be on the car body or the door it self as well.

I will edit my answer to post a picture of what most modern sensors look like.

Thank You I will try that

Lonnie, the door Ajar switches are on the inside of the door (see attached diagram). To replace it you will have to remove the door panel, the water barrier etc. To determine which door has the problem, open each door with the key in the on position. The door that does not make a chime is the problem door. Remember that the drivers door makes a different sound. This video should help you with the door panel removal.

Going down the road, door ajar light and buzzer keeps going off and on. Doors are shut tight.

I have a Ford ranger 2007 and the door light turns on when I hit a bump or i

turn and then it turns off do I have a bad switch or bad connection ?

Lonnie will be eternally grateful.