The Nintendo 3DS XL 2015, marketed as the New Nintendo 3DS XL, was released October 11, 2014 in Japan and February 13, 2015 in North America.

Why isn't the 3DS recognizing my SD card?

It seems like my 3DS isn’t recognizing my SD card. When I insert my SD card, the 3DS is unable to read or write to the SD card.

If the SD card is unable to be read, first check if the card is sliding smoothly into the card reader. There may be debris or other small particles blocking the card. If there is, remove the debris and replace the SD card. Make sure the spring lock is properly triggered.

If the SD card is still nonfunctional, the SD card itself may be broken/defective, and may need to be replaced.

Also, refer to the troubleshooting guide for more details on any other SD card issues here.

I just fixed this issue on my son's 3DS-XL Purchased in Dec 2014. He said that a message saying the "The SD Card couldn't be recognized. Please end the game and start again." This started happening intermittently and now the card cannot be read.

I snapped some pics of the card connector in the 3DS with my phone to try and get a look at the pins. The contact for 4th pin (clock) was corroded. It looked much lighter yellow than the rest of the pins. I got a micro-SD adapter and cycled it in and out of the 3DS about 15 times. I put the original card and the card was recognized and everything seemed to work.

Kobbe Farwick will be eternally grateful.