HP Photosmart Premium Wireless All-in-one Color Inkjet Printer/Fax/Copier/Scanner introduced 2009.

Printer not picking up paper to feed

The printer will not pick up the paper to feed it into the printer. It displays the load paper into main tray message even though there is plenty of paper. It seems like it could be a paper sensor issue.

Pickup wheels not turning

same with mines... the rollers are not spinning after cleaning.. looks like the gears to turn the wheels is not engaging.

Pickup rollers make contact with paper. The printer motor sounds like it is running. However the pickup rollers are not turning.

Most Helpful Answer

Do the rubberized wheels spin, like it's attempting to grab paper? If so, it's possible that the rollers are dirty, and it just can't generate enough friction to grab and handle the paper. Also, have you tried any other paper?

A cotton swab with some isopropyl alcohol should clean things.

Thanks for the hints. I already cleaned the rollers as described in the HP help video with clean water. The rollers look clean and spin when trying to grab paper. Current state is that the rollers turn while having contact to the paper but they can't pick up a new sheet. If the paper is pushed manually forward into the printer a sheet is picked up and printing works perfectly. I haven't tried other paper types but I'm still using the same paper type as when the printer worked. Is it possible that the rollers are not pressed strong enough to the stack of paper? Is there a way to check this or anything else I can do? Thanks

Thanks, I will give it a try.

In my case, the pick-up rollers are NOT rolling. Any suggestion?

The source gear that runs the paper feed roller gear pack is stripped on the feed rod just behind the paper holding box top edge on the right. Use a mirror to look up inside the paper box at the source gear while trying to print and you will see the rod the gear is on is turning but the drive gear is not. The rod that drives the gear has splines on it that hold the gear in place, the gear is plastic! and the splines are gone on the plastic gear that keeps it turning with the rod.

I repaired mine by sliding the gear to the left so the splines on the rod were visible. Then I very carefully applied JB weld to the splines on the rod. (Note: do not get JB weld on any other place than the splines on the rod). Then I moved the gear back to the right in position being sure the drive gear and the feed gear were lined up. Let it dry 24 hours before using! Note: this all has to be done with a mirror, even if you turn the printer upside down you cannot see the drive gear and rod because you cannot remove the paper holding box bottom. Good luck!

More likely the rubber has dried out. See if you can find something like this to clean the rollers (don't spray the rollers directly, use a cotton swab, then clean the rollers with it): Rubber Revitalizer

Try some vasoline on the rubber. Vasoline tends to swell the rubber thus grabbing the paper

the roller assembly has come apart cannot reassemble rollers for fax feed

Hi Lenny

Can confirm that this worked perfectly for me and revived a very good printer that was set for being thrown away. Many thanks, great solution

Eric Cabiran will be eternally grateful.