The March 2015 update of Apple's 13" MacBook Pro Retina Display, model A1502, features fifth-generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors and introduces the Force Touch trackpad.

MBP 2015 - Upgrade Storage from 256GB to 1TB?

I'm planning on buying a 13" Macbook Pro early 2015 model with 256 GB storage.

I want to check, is it possible to upgrade the storage later. I might want to upgrade to 1 TB to run VMs.

Regard

-Dino

Well I have good news and bad news here:

• First the good news - Apple's M.2 SSD blade drive is a replaceable unit so its possible to swap-out.
  • The bad news here is its too soon to say when 3rd party replacements will hit the market as this system is just too new.
  • The other bit of bad news is largest SSD so far available is still very expensive and only 920GB in size. I would recommend you follow this site: Transcend they appear to be aggressive on offering options for Air & Retina systems.

I end with a bit of good news here: Intel and Micron’s 3D NAND promises SSDs “greater than 10TB” so in a few years we should start seeing lower cost SSD blades and larger ones as well.

Good News! OWC has just released their SSD's for the Retina systems!

Here's the details: MacBook Pro with Retina 13" & 15" Late 2013 - Current

Will apple swap one out with a nominal fee? i got 128gb..id like to go to 512.....idc to pay I'm just not sure if they do that sort of thing..

Sadly, Apple won't upgrade sold systems. At one point Apple did offer after sale upgrading (cracking open your system) a good five years ago they stopped offering upgrading. If you just bought your system (first week) they do offer system exchange just make sure your system is blemish free.

I found the TarDisk, when I was searching the web on how to expand my macbook storage.

I ordered it and it came last week and has been working perfectly! It doubled my MacBooks onboard storage. Check it out!

Yes, you can. See theses links below : (if you are rich)

Aura 1TB Upgrade Kit (649$)

9toMac How to Video

OWC Digital How to Video

Where can I find the ssd for my macbook pro, currently it has 256, and I need more space :S

For now your only option is using a SD slot drive like this: Transcend Jet Drive Lite to add storage. If you have a different model than the OP review the Transcend site for other options

Yes! Thats pretty much the only upgrade you can do though... But possible! I did the exact same thing! I bought a referb macbook pro 16GB ram / 128SSD then put in a 1TB SSD works like a charm!

@Chris - Who's SSD did you go with?

Sorry to revive an old post but can you tell me what SSD drive you installed? I like you just bought a 2015 refurbed macbook pro with 16 gigs of ram but only 256G SSD. I was considering returning it for one with 1TB but they're SO expensive. If I can save money by buying and installing my own I'd definitely prefer to go that route. Thanks in advance!

Apple doesn't offer a 1TB blade SSD for this system as standard (only the 2.9GHz model could be configured at purchase with a 1TB drive). So far the largest they offer is 512 MB as a spare. Samsung makes the custom part for Apple (OEM). Apple changed things in the series it now uses a 4 lane PCIe interface unlike the older models that use a 2 lane PCIe.

I currently have 8 GB Ram/128 GB SSD on my MBP 2015, and I want to upgrade to 16 GB Ram/1 TB SSD.

As far as I know, I can do that change, but I don't know what SSD and Ram I must buy.

Do you can help me with this?

Greetings.

Sorry guy ;-{ Apple soldered the RAM so you can't upgrade it. But! You can replace the SSD drive as it's socketed. Now the other shoe drops... The bad news here there still isn't any 3rd parties that offer the needed unit. Hang tight I hear some rumblings their might be an answer soon.

um pretty sure all you people with a 2015 macbook pro can't even swap out the ram or hard drive because they are soldered to the mother board. 2015 models don't use M.2 they are physical chips on the board in 2015 models.

Yep, the RAM is soldered. But the SSD is removable. The only rub here is there isn't any 3rd party solutions yet.

I found a 1TB chip for the 2015 Macbook Pros, as well as the Mac Pro... But it's $1300 :/

http://store.mcetech.com/mm/merchant.mvc...

This company is suck.

I ordered a 1TB SSD Chip from Mce technologies 1month ago (almost 50days now)

But they never send product and never pickup the phone. never response email too.

until driving me crazy.

So i cancel order to my credit card company and still waiting. (card company said need wait 50days more. WTF)

did this resolve itself finally, StealthMarine? hope so!

after going through several Mac tech folks who claimed the drive was soldered to the motherboard and not replaceable, I spoke with an Apple senior manager yesterday who said that mid-2015 MacBook Pro’s would automatically void their warrantees if the 256 ssd was upgraded to a 512 Mac ssd. she said that their might be some special exception that a Mac authorized repair center might be able to get. it all appears to be intentionally clouded in mystery, and I wasted gas going to two Best Buys yesterday before I discovered this all. Microcenter seemed willing to do it, but apparently according to Apple, it's not as simple as that (Microcenter was also saying the upgraded SSD card was over $1100 for 512 and $1300 for 1 TB. this was the final answer:

Thank you for contacting Apple. It was my pleasure to assist in your question resolution. Should you need further assistance on this issue in the next 30 days, my contact information is listed below.

I am enclosing a copy of the limited warranty for you. Please discuss the option to replace your hard disk with the AASP, and ask them to get approval through their Apple channels before making your final decision:

Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty (https://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Image...)

If Apple approves the upgrade without touch your warranty, then it is fine, but the hard disk itself should be a replaceable part, as was your initial question.

If I am not available, please feel free to call 1-800-275-2273 and ask for Senior Advisor support to continue troubleshooting.

You can also connect to our online 24/7 Chat support at Contact Apple Support (http://getsupport.apple.com).

Thank you for using AppleCare.

Best Regards,

Teresa- T2 Mac AppleCare Advisor

Phone: 1-877-203-0418 Ext. 1163240

or Email: teresa_bell@apple.com (mailto:teresa_bell@apple.com)

Schedule: Thursday- Monday 11:00am-3:00pm EST then 7:00pm- 11:00pm EST

(If responding to my email, please click the email listed in my contact info above)

P.S. Best Buy apparently SUCKS the big one when it comes to MacBook Pro repair!

Dinesh Velusamy will be eternally grateful.