No beep on startup; no video; fan runs, light comes on
I was given this MacBook Air by a friend after it started failing on her daughter (who was not very descriptive). The first time I turned it on it came up perfectly, but after that never got it to start again. Symptoms:
1) no audible beep on startup
2) no visible display - no apple logo, no backlight, no nothing.
3) plugging in external monitor during startup displays nothing.
4) SMC Reset DOES result in magsafe connector light change.
5) Fan comes on; goes off very briefly and then stays on
6) Front white LED comes on; goes off very briefly, and then stays on.
7) CPU/GPU area gets and stays warm.
8) battery charges (light eventually turns green).
I purchased another logic board (certified used); absolutely no change in behavior.
I purchased another SSD drive (brand new); no change (I know a new drive would need new OS Load but I'm not that far along yet).
I'm tempted to buy a new display assembly, but - friends have told me that due to '3' above (no activity on external monitor), this rules out my LCD - I should see 'something' on the external monitor if GPU is ok. But - I bought another logic board, so that should eliminate bad GPU.
Not sure what to try next! I wish I had a second working A1304 to swap parts with but my other MBA is a much newer model.
Is this a good question?