Released 2012, model number L610 A point and shoot camera

Why do I get a batteries exhausted error?

After using my camera for a period of time, it says battery exhausted on the screen and then turns off.

I have the same problem.Bought FOUR new batteries.All have te same response.Grrr.

i heard you need to use the same batteries as the ones you originally started out with when you got the camera.

Every time I turn my camera on this happens. I put in fresh batteries and it will work for about 5 minutes and then shut off. However, if I tak ethe batteries out and flip them it will work for a minute or too. My camera has not been dropped or harmed in any way and is just over a year old.

Most Helpful Answer

This error comes from either the camera getting to hot or the batteries being depleted. To relieve this issue let the device sit for a while. If the error persists after letting the device sit, replace the batteries.

Checking the forums this seems to be a common error for this device but there is another reason this may happen. If the battery lid gets loose, the batteries are not held in tight. The extra space causes the batteries to arc which increases the heat inside of the camera. This issue maybe be relived by holding pressure on the side of the camera where the batteries compartment is. This pressure will create the correct contact that is needed for the device to work properly.

i have replaced the battery but it shows same error

With batteries? The main camera batteries or the batteries that you but in the bottom of the camera?

I took a toothpick and jammed it between the bat and side of bat compartment and pushed it down and then I was able to charge. I believe it was a connection problem. A couple of layers of tape and it should fill the gap when closing the cover. nothing thicker than tape, something thicker may compromise the seal.

Replace rechargeable batteries with alkaline and error disappears, then inserted back rechargeable batteries

it is not the batteries or the way the batteries are installed or contact. it is a bad design, may software. chinese made junk @ @

Just read the correct answer, The order in which you plug the charger cable into the charger and then into the camera matters. ( when I read it I couldn't believe the order matters but it does) https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers...

My camera didnt come with a charger cord :/ I can only put batterys in there, but there is a place for the charger.

This certain camera that it pictures at top and similar ones come with actual batteries, not rechargeable battery cards.

charge the battery for 6-8 hours and then you will not have this problem.

It may be because you left it on for a long period of time. Same with me.. I charged my battery for a little over 6 hours and it was fine.

Battery exhausted error occurs due to damage in battery door cap lock.Replace it and the problem is resolved

I had this problem also. I read that if you charge the battery IN the camera it might cause this problem. I purchased a wall charger to charge my battery and I haven't had this problem since. It probably would help to get a new battery if yours is old. Overheating can cause the problem also. Good luck.

The battery needs to be charged by using an external source, such as attaching the usb charging cord to your laptop. You can also take the battery out and charge it by itself, by placing it in the included battery wall charger.

I have seemed to have solved the problem by using lithium batteries only

I bought my Nikon Coolpix P5100

Yesterday. Naturally I charged it

overnight. My question why its say 'Battery is Exhausted". What is the cause and side effect? I'll appreciate if you

answer my questiona and kindly response on my concern. Thank you in advance for your immediately action.

I do not the reason for the battery exhausted message. The side effect is the camera turns itself off and cannot be used. It makes no sense. All I know is using disposable lithium batteries caused the problem to go away.

Got the same problem with COOLPIX S2600. Solved the problem by charging the camera with the memory (SD) card removed. Advice: Do not use your camera when the battery is drained.

Use lithium batteries. I do not get the battery exhaust message when using lithium batteries.

What do you mean by lithium batteries?? Which model no. of lithium battery you are using now to resolve the battery exhaust problem? Because I am having the same problem using lithium ion battery EN-EL23.

I am just using Energizer AA advanced lithium batteries. Haven't had the "exhausted battery" message since.

.it has been three months with a regularly used camera it has yet to die, or give me the exhausted battery error since I put in the disposable lithium batteries

Had the same problem charged it for 8 hours still nothing then I plugged the charging cable into my Samsung phone charger plug and work straight away

Mine have the same problem. Im doing only 1 solution everytime the problem occurs.

1. Remove the battery for 5-10secs then put it back in.

2.Unplug the usb cord on the charger.

3. Then insert again the cord into the charger

4. Put the charger on the wall socket

5. Connect the charger in your camera

Then suddenly the charging indication light will appear :)

You just have to be patient everytime it fails, just keep on doing it several times.

I guarantee it will work and it will saves your money ;) DO NOT STOP UNTIL THE CHARGING LIGHT APPEARS. Goodluck!

Remember: PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE :)

This only happens to me when I am used the video mode. I NEVER use rechargeable batteries, and the new batteries have the same problem. My guess is bad software or bad battery door. Door is a very cheap design.

I overcame the problem by replacing Nikon recharger and connecting charger cable. Nikon lithium battery now charges perfectly.

. . . . because the batteries WERE low. Old batteries , too long in the HOT garage and my "battery checker" was lying to me about the battery's charge. Use voltmeter to get a true state of new or used batteries.

NO NO NO NO NO...

To solve the "Batter Exhausted" problem, first open the battery compartment and check what type of battery you are using - Alkaline, Lithium etc.

Next switch on the camera and press menu button and then tools option (wrench).

In the list, find the "Battery Type". You should see some options:

Alkaline,

COOL PIX (Ni-MH)

Lithium

Select one of the above options corresponding to the type of battery you are using.

That should solve the problem.

Jeremy will be eternally grateful.