Black and silver single cup coffee maker with water reservoir on the left hand side.

Keurig Elite B40 Won't Close

This morning, my Keurig Elite B40 wouldn't brew. I put in a K-cup, and hit the brew button, but no water came out. So, I proceeded to follow some tips I found online for unclogging the needles and checking the tubes. I had to undo the two screws underneath the top housing, so that I could pull it up and check the tubes. I saw nothing wrong with the tubes, so I replaced the screws without doing anything inside the housing.

Now, the top won't close. When I look inside to see what's blocking it, I see a metal tongue back behind the K-cup holder and a bar that looks like it's supposed to slide over the tongue and into a groove. However, the tongue is completely rigid and locked in place, such that the bar would have no hope of sliding back into the groove. I'm assuming the tongue is supposed to have a little give so that the bar can slide over it into the the groove, but since it's rigid, it's impossible to force the handle closed against that pressure.

I didn't mess with anything in this part of the machine - my fingers wouldn't even fit back there. Did I inadvertently mess something up when I slid the top of the housing off to look at the tubes? Help!

Edit:

I added pictures of the metal tongue and the bar I'm talking about, as well as a photo showing how the Keurig won't close. The photo shows as far down as the handle will go in its current state.

I called Keurig customer service. They said that none of them had ever heard of this issue and it wasn't fixable.

schmick, post a couple of images with your question. May be we can figure it out if we see what you see. Use Adding images to an existing question this guide to post images

"However, the tongue is completely rigid and locked in place," just checked mine (working) and it is the same way. So there has to be another reason.

@oldturkey03 Yeah, I was hoping there was another reason and someone recognized the behavior. Unfortunately even their customer service had no idea.

@oldturkey03 Even though you already checked and determined that you don't think it's the problem, I added pictures of the metal tongue and the bar I'm talking about. I also added a photo showing how the Keurig won't close. The photo shows as far down as the handle will go in its current state.

Most Helpful Answer

schmick, here are my pictures, they look pretty much the same. I guess I will have to tear mine apart and check it out. This is not an answer but the only way to post images.

@oldturkey03 Don't tear yours apart on account of me. I don't want your Keurig broken too!

I'll get to it right after work. No big deal as long as the wife won't find out:-))

lindahutchison@insightbb.com

We had the same issue. I removed the upper cover, two screws, to find a rouge piece of plastic had kept the mechanism from closing. Couldn't find where it came from. Doesn't seem to prevent it from working. Opens and closes like new.

We had the same issue this morning. We turned it up side down to remove the water in preparation for removing the screws, and the cover went down itself. Give this a try before taking it apart.

I have the same issue after taking apart my Keurig for a thorough cleaning. When I line up the screws for the top cover out won't close. If I shift the cover slightly forward so the screws don't line up, it closes just fine just as it does without the cover on. Any thoughts?

I did this and it worked .....thank you

Our lid Quit closing this morning, I found a small piece broke off and I still can"t see where it came from.

I think it was keeping the lid from opening too far. If I pull down slightly on the part inside the lid I can close the lid I'm going to see if my lid has the two plastic sliding pieces on them and snap them off like mj18oneill said they did.

I have the 2.0 with the same issue. Guess I will be shopping for a new coffee maker. But will turn this in to consumer report. Might need to be a recall.

Unscrew the two screws ( where it says hot liquids), pull back the handle till it closes. Screw in the screws.

Hi to add to Kathryn's post, after you have unscrewed the two screws you will be better able to see the sharp metal K-cup puncture tip. The tip more than likely is jammed into the plastic K-cup holder that is removable. Get something strong like the end of a utensil or a screw driver and gently, but forcibly, pry the puncture tip over the top of the K-cup holder. Once you've done so, then put the screws back into place and you're good to go. :)

Hi my name is Tina and I have figured it out. OK after the top of your kuerig is off . Look under the top there are 2 long plastic pieces that have a lip on it. Now look down at the inside of the kuerig and you will see 2 holes line up the long plastic piece with the holes . And when they are in push forward. That locks the top in. Now your sews go in with no problem . You now will have no problem closing it. Hope this helped have a great day

You are the best. Thank you.

I just took a screw driver and snapped off the 2 plastic sliding pieces that have the little arrows on them. There is one on each side. They slide into place when opening and closing the lid. My machine was stuck half way opened and wouldn't shut or move at all. Problem solved. I roughed up the machine, needed coffee! Coffee drinkers don't play!!!

That is exactly my problem. My one plastic sliding piece came off at the top and I cannot see enough to put it back in place. I'm not sure where it goes. How did you get yours back on? Do I need to unscrew it for that?

I had all the same problems I took it apart to really clean it and when I put back the 2 screws to hold the top handle down.... no go so I just put the handle back on with no screws and jiggled it a lot and the doles will eventually line up. Took my about an hour just fiddling . I put on the handle till it fit then turned unit upside down making sure the lid was closed then put the screws back it . It works!

So when I unscrew it do I unscrew the handle?

Yeah [image|938941]

Will someone help

Hi @mpearl

Your image does not show in a comment. If you wish to add an image to your 'answer' write your comment again as a new answer then add the image to that. When you 'submit' the new answer you will be given the option to update your original answer, select that option and the image will be there for all to see.

How do I do that @jayeff

Hi, @mpearl,

Here is a link that shows you how.

Adding images to an existing answer

Thank you Maureen.

I simply turned the Keurig upsidedown and now it works as new.

The top cover has two plastic hooks about 2/3rds the way back. Those 2 plastic hooks have to

be lined up/hooked it before you put the screws in. A little flashlight helps. You can put the screws in

without putting those 2 hooks in place but it won't work right...and you

might crack the plastic.

Keurig Rivo is recently discontinued not because the machine is bad and unrepairable but because Keurig doesn't do service. They did send the new machine as a replacement for repairable one and of course they were losing money.

It happened to me a year ago and now when the same thing happen again, Keurig offer "big" discount if I buy another machine instaed

The Rivo pods wasn't punctured fully, the handle didn't close and the water was pouring out in the pod bean instead into cup.

Any help will be appreciated.

Hi had the same problem. Unscrewed the 2 screws and took the top off and when I went to put the top back on and the screw holes wouldn't line up correctly. I messed with it for probably 2 hrs before I tried pushing the back part of the top in more and then held on to it while flipping it over and sure enough that made the screw holes line up correctly.

Our Kurig did the same thing. Wouldn't close, after removing two screws and top for cleaning. Jiggled that around until it quit being stuck halfway. Now, it won't snap closed. Works if you stand and hold it down but can't get it to click in and stay down on its own. Anyone have a suggestion?

schmick will be eternally grateful.