First generation, based on the Ford C1 global platform.

Repair of sunroof so it will close/open

My sunroof is stuck in the 85% close position. Pushing either the open/close switch you just hear a 'rattat-tat' sound and the sunroof remains in the same position for most of the time. Some times it does move half an inch either way but that's all. I need to get under the headliner and be able to see if there are any small bolts loose/missing and what the track assembly looks like. Can you help and by chance also provide me with an excerpt from the factory service manual?

Sure. I thought I included it. It's a 2006 Mazda 3 and is a 4dr. Can you also find info for removing a portion of the overhead headliner in order to be able to work on the sunroof motor and track assembly?

Thank you.

Could you tell us what year the car is, so someone might find the factory service manual?

If it's 2010, a searchable PDF of the the factory service manual can be found here.

ok-our problem is the 2004 Mazda 3's sunroof is stuck at tilt, and it make an awlful noise when trying to close it by pressing button. HELP!

Most Helpful Answer

Possible fix!

Many Japanese cars' are designed similarly in that the fixes are the same. Check the owners manual for a method to "reprogram" the limit on the sunroof and/or windows.

I had half of the headliner removed before I looked in the book. Your window is confused and forgot where it is currently positioned! (Don't laugh most automotive accessories are controlled through the onboard computer and just like your laptop can drop a bit or two and lock up or crash, no pun intended.)

1. Disconnect the Negative battery terminal.

2. Wait a few minutes and reconnect the battery.

3. Operate the window by closing it fully and without releasing the button, hold the button for about ten seconds after it is fully closed.

4. Open the window fully and once again hold the for ten seconds after it is fully open.

This should reset the end limits for the window. Check the owners manual for specifics on the car. This procedure may also work for some "auto up/down" windows.

Finish the fix by reprogramming the radio presets, bluetooth, programmable seats, etc.

Forgot to add this in the original. The car I was working on was a 2004 Nissan Sentra. It also works on other Nissan models as late as 2009 model year.

good answer.

+1 pretty slick :) good job

Dude.. (david)

I thought I was the only 2006 Mazda 3 with this problem :) Glad to hear I'm not alone.

I started a thread on this subject here:

Forum Link from sdhartney

I'm currently fixing this problem for the second time.. but I ran into a snag.. the motor got indexed wrong and now thinks the glass panel is "up" in the rear.. I have to try it in all positions until it re-indexes correctly.

So.. tell me.. do you have the sport tune suspension? and low profile tires? and drive lots of miles? and live in a dusty area?

All those apply to me, so I'm wondering if there any common conditions that cause the roof movement to stiffen up.

Steven

paok kai gamw tis manes sas

@ Maria,

Can you translate to English language please? My Google translator isn't recognizing your text :(

Steven

My 2006 madza had same sound ratta .i took a air hose and blewvout both tracks. Then pull on each corner or the glass starting on driver side then passenger. The glass moved about 1/4 inch I then got some on to operate the slider switch and with 2 people forcing the glass to close and the glass started to move about a 1 inch at a time and then still pulsing on the lass we were able to close it completely and it still made the ratta sound as we were closing .also had to push up on the glass and work the tilt to get proper seal. Never end tried to open it again .disconnected wire from the consul switch where the map lots are located.it had nothing to do with index wrong on the motor. Nobody could explain to me the ratting noise it was making.also disconnecting battery also did nothing. To me cleaning the track and forcing it to close because it was jammed in my opinion that why the motor was making that noise because ut could not grab the mechanical mechanism to close .lucky dont know why I didn't blow a fuse. Or damaged the teeth or sprocket

My sunroof will open all the way but will not close when using the same button. I have to use to other switch that just raises the backside and even sometimes that hesitates to close down.

how did you fix this? I have the same problem right now and it is stuck fully open

Sid will be eternally grateful.