Microsoft's third-generation Xbox game console, released November 22, 2013.

Replacing bluray drive with external drive?

My grandsons console was run over (true) opened everything up and only damage is the ribbon at front of console (easy repair)a very distorted case and smashed optical drive. Console boots up fine and responds as expected, because the case is so distorted I can't install a replacement optical drive, my question is can an external blu ray drive be used or a generic drive placed in the case if the damaged metal was removed and the case modified to suit.

The main problem you are going to run into with anything like this that you try is that the blu ray drive that came in the unit from the factory is married to the motherboard. There is a PCB that is inside the blu ray drive that must stay with the motherboard. This means that you can replace the optical drive with an identical one but you must also switch the PCB on the new drive with the one that is matched to the motherboard.

Unfortunately there is no way to replace the blu ray drive with anything other than the exact type that came with the Xbox One.

I hope this helps.

Have you done this yourself because i can find no evidence of this actually working. It did on the 360 but i cannot find one mention of it working on the xbox one

Yes, my company replaces blu ray drives and it works fine. You probably won't find this anywhere out there because there's just not that much info about these out there yet.

BTW, I would never knowingly give people advice that is not correct or that I have not tried myself.

Ok. One more question.I am not good at soldering so I was thinking when I remove the old board I would leave as much of the two soldered cables as possible and splice/patch the cables rather try to solder the boards. Any thoughts on this.

Huh? The daughter board is soldered to a motor within the drive!

perrypk...YES you are right...I totally got this question confused with another one that I was answering reguarding a PS4 optical drive...those are located on the top of the optical drive. You are correct though in stating that the board for the Xbox One is inside the drive itself! Sorry for anyone who was confused by my comment!

Alex will be eternally grateful.