Laptops manufactured by Asus.

Asus Laptop Model U56E shutting off at random and during boot up?

I have a Asus Notebook PC Laptop, Model: U56E I bought it in 2011

My question is:

Recently it has been shutting off on it’s own, sometimes while playing a movie which does get irritating.

After getting nowhere with antivirus software I tried reformatted the hard drive several times, also tried using it with the battery removed and reformatting with the battery removed, at first it seems to be happening after a few hours of use it will shut off on its own again, to say the least annoying.

For a laptop it doesn’t seem to be getting overly hot, stays cool to the touch, after it shuts off it will come up with the error message about being improperly shutdown and restart on its own, after a few times it want to do a DSKCHK, which eats up about twenty minutes.

I’m figuring that it is probably an equipment problem, is there a module or something I can replace to fix this problem?

Some more info:

When it shuts down randomly, it shuts off like you pulled the cord from the wall outlet without the battery in the unit, shuts down like that even when the battery was in the unit, and it always restarts, at first it had me thinking I had one of those shut off viruses, after the first reformat it got me thinking hardware problem, I am hoping someone out there has a fix it answer for me, other than go out and buy a new laptop, I am hoping for an inexpensive way to fix this Laptop computer, I would appreciate any answer that gets me closer to having this problem fixed.

Sounds like you're hitting a thermal issue here. While the case may not feel warm the CPU or GPU may be shutting down due to heat.

A common issue here is dust buildup in the fans and heat sink fins (also don't block the vents). Also given the age of the system you may want to remove (carefully) the heat sink and apply a fresh coat of thermal paste. It's a bit of work as you do need to clean the old stuff off first and make sure you don't damage anything in the process.

To help in diagnosing your issue you can try CoreTemp which allows you to see the thermal sensors on the CPU.

I've tried the Core temp program, it works good, it show max temp at 100c the i5 processor is a dual core, the temp program shows the temp on both cores running between 35c to 55c it doesn't get any hotter than that, the problem still remains after the last format, still shuts-off randomly, if it was a tower computer I would be thinking power supply, on this Laptop the power supply seems to be more integrated, I'm not sure what to target as the problem.. ( Note please stop editing my problem and comments, I'm not saying anything wrong, every-time I've notice my text edited, the meaning of some sentences have changed. )

Michael - I promise you very little editing has been done and only to make your issue more readable and categorized so others can find it. You can see the alterations by clicking on the History and if you feel the meaning was lost please go into edit mode and correct things as you see fit.

You may need to look at the power logic solder joints you may have a bad joint or broken component.

This thread says this is solved why can I not see how it was solved?

Thanks,

@Sean L - I suspect in this case the issue was within the power logic which is were it was left. Sadly, Michael didn't fill us in on what he found.

Clearly the other entries here also encountered problems with their systems. So there maybe something more here. Hopefully someone chirps up on what they found.

Did you give Core Temp a try (click on the URL link above) to see if your system was overheating?

I have the same laptop, bought it in January 2012. I've just recently on two different occasions have had it shut down for no apparent reason. Both times I had it running on battery only, it hasn't done it to me when it is plugged in. The thing is, on both occasions it shut down without warning, once I plugged it back in it said there was 50+% battery power remaining. I'm sitting here now ready to buy a new battery but I'm not really sure if that will fix the problem. Did you have any resolve?

Sounds like the same issue I have with mine bought in early 2012. after a year and half I had the hard drive and mother board/graphics card replaced and still have the problem. Though it seems much more random now... some days shuts off every few minutes some days not at all. No pattern to process either some times just running word documents and sometimes streaming video and other times no problems at all. About to upgrade now putting up with the issue this long hoping it would die to help me reason replacing it considering the amount of money I spent having custom graphics put on the lid. When I replace it I wont be buying another ASUS and I won't be buying from the same store.

Hi, I seem to have a similar problem with my Asus laptop X53e bought in 2011. For already more than a year my laptop has been showing similar symptoms of shutting down all by itself and/or not starting up if I push the start-up button. In fact, that's where it started: not being able to start the laptop. That initially occured when I had the laptop in a cool place like in our attic during the winter without heating. Gradually the spontaneous shutting down started to occur. At first the problems occured mainly in the colder seasons but now it happens all the time, whether in summer or in winter time. But I still have the feeling there is a relation with temperature drops, it seems to occur more often in the cooler hours of early morning or evening. But it can also unexpectedly shut down just in the middle of the day.

And always, once shut down, it will retry to switch on again all by itself, trying various attempts before succeding.

There is no relation with whether it's on power supply or on battery.

I changed my HDD to a SSD, that makes no difference at all. I really think it must be a hardware problem but I don't know where to look for a solution. Any suggestions?

sam le issue exactly with my Asus u56e. I bought another battery and same problem within a week.

Until this day my problem has not been solved, I took the laptop to a repair shop who couldn't fix it. So that's about two years or more that we're having this problem. I have another laptop currently from my job, so there's less need to solve it...

I took the top panel off the system and blew away lots of dust and debris. No more automatic rebooting. I'd also taken out the optical drive and the HD. Blew lots of junk out of there. The system was four years old when this problem began. It wasn't the bios either (I've the more recent).

Michael will be eternally grateful.