White Screen of Death
Good day all,
This question comes in two parts.
My Partner's MacBook air has just produced the following symptoms:
- Last night he was unable to access some folders on the drive.
- System lockups / slowdowns throughout the day
- Over-Heating during the day.
- He had to shut it down by holding down the power button until power off.
- Upon booting, he got a white screen and no other response from the system
- Shutting the lid did not turn off the screen and the system continued to get hot.
- He has been able to successfully clear the NVRam and now gets a startup sound but still a white screen and overheating symptoms.
- No other interrupt key combinations produce any better results.
- We're unable to boot from any alternative media.
So the first question is; any ideas on what could be the problem? Our current feeling is a failed SSD, similar to this post:
Would that be likely?
Before taking it back to Apple for repair, we want to recover the data off it (as I'm sure Apple will either reinstall or replace the SSD as part of the repair), are there any converters yet available for the SSD in the 2014 version of the Air?
So far all I've been able to find is this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SSD-to-SATA-ad... , however it only appears to work with the older model(s), can anyone give any insight as to whether or not it would work with the current model?
Many thanks for your time.
Is this a good question?