Released April 2013, model numbers GT-N5100 (3G & Wifi), GT-N5110 (Wifi), and GT-N5120 (3G, 4G/LTE & Wifi)

Why won't my tablet turn on?

When I press the power button, nothing happens. My tablet doesn't respond to it at all. Why doesn't my device turn on?

For me More than that, device was fine yesterday but would not turn on last night. Plugging it in does nothing, an yes I check to make sure power supply works. Holding power on does nothing as well as holding volume up an power. No response what so ever..

Did this ever get resolved? What was the fix? Mine is doing the exact same.

Same problem here too. Stopped a game by pressing the home button closed the flap on the samsung protector and plugged it in. This morning (25 June 2015) it seems to have no power as if it is drained. Tried charging it via a different cable into a different charger for hours and nothing. I have 2 of these tablets and the other one works fine on those chargers.

No pressing/holding of buttons seems to do anything. I also do not get a battery picture when I plug in the charger.

I have a N5110 note 8.0 and it suddenly ceased during the night. Black screen - no response to any buttons or any change with charging (multiple tried, including Samsung). I used your guide with the battery - replaced and many hours charging with old or new battery = nothing. No response. How do I know if this is the buttons (seems odd though with no response to plugging in), or the motherboard? Is it worth buying a cheap unit with a cracked screen and using the mobo from within it? I like the tablet and use it alot - books, emails, etc.

My Note 8 just did the same exact thing and frankly its weird that this issue is occurring to all of us at the same time?

There are a few different factors that could be involved. First I would check to see if your device is charged. Plug in your device and see if it responds. If it does then you either need to charge your device or the battery is not holding a charge, meaning you need to replace the battery. If this is not the case then a faulty power button is another possibility. There are replacement guides for all these cases.

A complete list of all troubleshooting topics related to your device can be found here. Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 Troubleshooting

Will not turn on so how do you check the charge? Socket and adapter both working.

I tried everything and took it in to get checked . Mother board dead nothing they can do. So people please remember to back up your stuff.

Android Tablets that are better than this one are only $40 at Best Buy

I've just now been having mine randomly go dark, I plug in charger and hold down the power key & home key then it comes on. Temporary resolution.

Most Helpful Answer

Same with my Galaxy Note 8.0. all of it... charge, black screen, no battery shows up, no green light. I replaced my battery, and charge port myself (for $24 total btw). going to try power button (under $10) and then the motherboard (under $50). worth it to me... considering I paid close to $400 for this tablet, plus since I work on tablets etc it will help me know how to fix in the future.

I just wanted to let everyone know... i had the same issue on my n5110. i repair devices... i have replaced the usb port, battery, power button, and motherboard to no avail really. when i do the old battery stand-by of wetting the (in this case) connectors it will turn on for about 10 seconds (the circle logo makes almost a full circle) then shuts off until i wet the connectors again. so may not be getting a solid connection with battery.

another person said disconnect the battery (and charge cable) and press power to drain excess power from mobo... then plug in battery and turn on. tried it and nothing. i have been researching and testing theories for over 2months now with no luck. my next step will be to find some sort of way to 'bridge' the gap on the battery connector.

Hi, would you by any chance be able to help me with the parts list for this device?

I have the same problem i.e. a dead tablet and local Samsung service center says that the Motherboard and battery would need to be replaced at an exorbitant price. I needed the parts list so that I could source those components myself and attempt a DIY replacement / recovery.

Thanks a ton for these part numbers! ☺ Any other part details available... Such as motherboard, etc. Mine seems to be a motherboard issue...

i replaced everything (charge port, battery, power button, mobo) and no joy. someone posted that Samsung has an hours used coded in for a device to fataly fail in the hopes you buy another. if this were true then a new mobo should work. also the mobo can be found for under $20 on ebay... if you look hard.

My Samsung Galaxy Note 8 did exactly the same thing. I have replaced the battery, the usb charging port, the power button (but went back to the old one because the new one didn't have the pen lever). It will not turn on. If anyone finds a solution, please be sure to post!

I am very annoyed w/Samsung. I have (2) Note 8 tablets which I paid $300USD for each. Within months of each other the screen went black on both devices. I changed the battery and USB port with no success. I called Samsung and was told it could be the motherboard, they wanted a 300deposit for each device and said it would cost 190usd to fix each one.

A search for motherboards indicates they can range from 50usd for a used one to 104usd for an OEM. I don't think I am going to put forth the effort to fix either device at those cost.

I had the same problem. I replaced the battery, charging port and power button with no success. One silver lining: I saved most of the tablet content on the Micro SD card so I was able to recover a lot of photos, docs, etc. Lessons learned: save everything to the Micros SD card and expect to buy a new tablet every couple years :-)

try doing a safe reboot follow https://goo.gl/mvLPZn

i replaced everything and no joy. someone posted that Samsung has an hours used coded in for a device to fataly fail in the hopes you buy another. also the mobo can be found for under $20 on ebay... if you look hard.

I have had a lot of success reconnecting the battery connector on galaxy tabs. snap the back off and remove and refit all snap in connectors.

Simple solution.

Hold the power button and the volume up button at the same time until the screen comes on.

Then choose to reboot the system by pressing the power button or if you had everythign saved use the volume buttons to go to factory restore option and the press the power button.

My guess is the software easily gets corrupted. Sqamsung doesnt update the Android OS as fast as possible. Hope this helps all. Cheers

Didn't work for me

champion! fixed

Worked for me....happy girl!!!!

I had this problem and simply let it charge overnight. The next morning, it started as normal. Maybe it shut down due to overheating.

I have had the same issue. Used my note 8 for about 10 minutes after taking it off of the charger. Sat it down for about 30 minutes and when I came back to use it everything was dead? I have owned it for approximately 3.5 years. If this failure is truly an time out issue programmed in as some have described it sounds like a Better Business report / class action Lawsuit is brewing. Very dissapointed in Samsung for these issues. Does not make any sense for something to just stop working without any indication. My tablet looks brand new.

i'm there with you on the class action law suit. very mad about losing this tablet since it was over $400. I own other tablets but liked this one

It would actually be useful to know:

How many Samsung Not 8s just stopped after 3 years

How many Samsung Not 8s just stopped after 4 years

How many stopped after having a charging port change.

This is starting to smell like built in obsolescence.

My Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 (wifi only) will not switch on or respond in any way to a known-good charger being plugged into it. It hasn't had much use since new, and still looks like new, so I don't believe it's a worn out battery or switch. It will not reset, or hard-reset, so I have removed and tested the function of the power tact-switch, that that works perfectly, at least up to the connector that goes to the next board. The battery shows as having 4.2V. I fear that I've bricked it. Nothing I do gives any response. Is there anything else I can try?

Hold power button in for 10 seconds while charging. Worked for me.

I plugged my tablet into the charging cable, then held the power button down for 10 seconds. That worked for me.

My wifes 3yr old Note 8 GT-N 5110 was working fine, she had almost no power left so she put it on charge overnight and the next day all she had was a black screen. I like most people found the first and obvious thing was to replace the charging socket as this takes quite a hit with the one way fitting. Still no joy and so I left it and gave her my Lenovo to use instead. A week ago, I bought another complete working 5110 for $56AU on eBay with a cracked screen and a well used body. So, I tested it and as stated it was a fully working concern. First I swapped the battery over, ...Nothing. Tried the charging port,....Nothing. Ok, swap over the Logic board, back in with the new charging port and a 90% charged battery, power on and yippee..! All is good now, well apart from the fact that whatever was on the old system is gone. No problem though, it's all on playstore and can be re installed. So, it seems that the logic/motherboard is the failure here and only after 3 years of careful use. It is only used to study language classes and looks as good as the day it was bought.

Jon Morgan will be eternally grateful.