The third-generation Ram was unveiled on February 7, 2001 at the 2001 Chicago Auto Show. This was a major update including an all new frame, suspension, powertrains, interiors, and sheet metal.

lamp out warning lite stays on

lamp out warning lite won't extinguish, no lamps seem to be out when checking out at nite.

Could it b the rear over cab light... not just below lights regular driving lights

I have a 2003. I put HID lights in it and had this problem. Have you done this or does the truck have aftermarket lights?

Not sure what the issue is but what I did was found the low beam and high beam wires cut them both on the left and right side, then tied the left and right low beam wires together ran a single wire off of that going to a relay, fuse, battery and toggle switch to activate and deactivate the low beams mounted the toggle switch underneath the original factory headlight switch then I did the exact same concept for the high beams except instead of using a typical toggle switch i got one that mounts to the floor board of the vehicle that you step on with your foot to activate and deactivate the high beams (The old 60's model Ford trucks use those type of toggle switches to activate and deactivate the highbeams). Still have the lamp out light illuminated on the dash panel when the truck is on but at least the warning sound only dings once when I start the truck up and that's it.

So I just posted on the wrong one that's my fault, my issue was the same as yours with the lamp out light being illuminated but my drivers side headlamp was out and wouldn't work even with a new replacement bulb so I bypassed dodges wiring all together...

@gregabc The actual proper fix isnt that hard you can remove the ECM that's located between the fuse panel and the fender pull the ecm and clean the contacts that connect the ecm then use a dielectric gel to keep the connectors from corroding again. This is a common problem with dodge trucks . when morwe and more electrical problems creep up replacing the fuse panel and ecm will be the next step.

@jimfixer I tried cleaning the contacts, and a huge list of other things with hrs and days of forum research, and taking it to two different Dodge dealers who couldn't figure it out either. I have read replacing the ECM "might" fix it but that's fairly expensive and figured if Dodge couldn't make it right the first time I wasn't taking chances on it going out a second time so I stuck with the ol fashioned tride and true way of direct wiring. There are a advantages of direct wiring headlights vs. running them through the ECM such as getting true 12V power to the lights instead of the average 10V making them brighter and if something goes wrong it's easy to fix. There's computer software you can purchase with an OBD II cable and erase the lamp out light diagnostic code making the light go away and not come back (you can make a backup in case you want to add it back later). Your post is definitely good advice though and hopefully helps someone down the road since Dodge can't seem to get their stuff together!

earl martin will be eternally grateful.