The Dell Optiplex 745 small form factor is a compact desktop computer that has been a work office favorite, and still sits at desks to this day.

Why is my device not turning on?

No matter how many times I press the power button to turn my computer on, no light turns on and my monitor remains black.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Most Helpful Answer

If your device randomly shuts off and becomes very hot, the fan inside the tower may be clogged. Remove the fan and clean out debris. If the problem still persists, the fan unit should be replaced.

@Rebecca Harrison, please read the question before suggesting an answer. " no light turns on and my monitor remains black." should tell you that it is a power issue, not a overheating issue. It can not overheat if it does not start up.

Carson Mould, check your power cable first. Make sure it is properly inserted and that you have power on the electrical outlet where it plugs into. If that works, you do want to take a multimeter and check the power switch and see if that works. Remove all the RAM and unplug every device that is connected to your computer. Then try it. If it still does not work, your power switch is okay,, and the power cable okay, I would start off with checking the power supply. This of course will depend on your skills and tools available, let us know what you can do. Hope this helps, good luck.

Simply check your power supply with a tester. Unplug from PC and plug into tester. I got mine $9 from frys.

My device is same. On button light turning red and flicker light.... and no start starting device.... how can fix it?

Test power supply first with tester, then replace if found defective

Test tour PSU with a multimeter. Hook up black to black, yellow should be 12 volts, red should be 5volts, and orange should be 3.3 volts. If you want, you can test your PSU if you short circuit green wire (PS_ON) and ground.

Carson Mould will be eternally grateful.