A washer series by Maytag with a low rate of customer satisfaction and a high rate of failure.

stops with an F 51 on the time display

On any setting for wash, the washer will fill and as soon as it does will stop and give a F 51 on the wash display

Hello..I have a washer doing that same thing..throwing f51 code..due to balance issue it also stopped..now works fine..

Checked bolt and it wasn't loose so what would be next

Mike, F 51 would indicate that the control board is not seeing the proper resistance on the motor circuit . You should check and make sure there are not any articles, stuck between the tubs, or under the agitator. Make sure you're not overloading the machine and that you have proper voltage to the unit. It can also indicate that your rotor position sensor is either not registering or it is just bad. Remove and reinstall the connector at the RPS to clean off any corrosion built up on the connector. After that go ahead and try to run a cycle. If that does not work and you continue to get the same error, replace the RPS sensor. Lots more on here The RPS is #20 in the parts image. Hope this helps, good luck.

How do I get the drum out to see if there is anything under it?

the drum stays put. It is suspended by cables. Just remove the center cover of the agitator with a flat head screwdriver (pops off), remove retaining bolt, and pull up to remove agitator. Wiggle it a bit but itll come off. To access the RPS (position sensor), you need to access the bottom of the machine by propping it up and accessing the area on bottom. Details videos can be found on youtube for the actual replacement.

Can you do this with water and clothes in the washer?

No. Water and clothes have to be removed so you can put the machine on its side to access the bottom.

Got the F:51- Opened her up and lo and behold- Had a small shirt stuck between the two tubs. Thank you!

My center bolt was also loose. Tightened it up tonight and the problem is solved. I would have never thought of checking the center bolt. Thank you all for sharing your experience.

Before anyone takes this apart , ...From the top ....flip washer on side and check that center bolt at bottom of the tub. Tighten with a big Allen wrench. Solved my problem

I assume running oversized loads or unbalanced loads ..,.loosens that bolt. My wife said I do that

I accept responsibility since it was a fast no cost fix! Lol

Thanks Tom, Exactly the same issue with mine. F:51 Error code. Unplugged it tilted it back propped the front up and yes... the center bolt was loose. Agree jkirkk s running over-sized unbalanced loads could loosen that 1/4 inch allen bolt.

Fantastic post. Easily fixed F51 error by tightening center screw with Allen wrench.

Bingo , loose nut behind steering wheel ! Sorry flashback. Center bolt loose .. bride is very happy ! Thanky

Worked for me as well; thanks for the tip! Took me 2 minutes to fix and solved the problem! Much appreciated!

I did a breakdown of the mvwb300wq1 model . This is what I am dealing with. 1. Got the F51 message that led the whole procedure. 2 removed basket . 3. Took motor assembly apart.

Checked for continuity on rps and. Motor driver, all was good. 4 The large nut at the bottom of shaft was totally lose and just there doing nothing. 5 Then I discovered that the basket was not rotating as it should. It would rotate easily for a short bit and then turn with much difficulty. The elctronics appear to be okay.

John

so did you fix the problem John? Seeing the same issue with my machine.

Yes. The problem was a loose nut on the rotor. After I tightened it it was noisey but ran and I am glad.

John, how did you access to get to the bolt?

Im having the same issue just kinda blank here cant get center piece off

Getting the center removed can be frustrating. Initially it was very tough, but once it lifted out it was easier to do so as I removed it several times. You might try rapping it a bit around the center , but dont give up.

I started getting the dreaded F51 error message and took the advice of removing the center piece, then the retaining bolt and lifting off the agitator. Found a dime. Maybe that will stop the squeaking? Anyway, that didn't help. So, I then tilted the machine so I could look underneath and there it was....a loose screw under the machine on the bottom of the rotor. I tightened it, set the machine upright, put in a small load of clothes as "test" run and I couldn't believe it! That fixed the problem! So happy!

My Maytag gave me a loud noise during final spin cycle. I replaced the bearings and seal and seems much quieter in spin cycle. However I am getting a F51 error during wash cycle. I can keep canceling the error and re-starting the machine until wash cycle passes. During the bearings replacement I noticed a bronze wire on stater broken. I fixed the wire and put everything back. Also one of the RPS board click was broken so I have to carefully tape it to the right position. Now the washer spinning is fast and quiet. Only problem is F51. I noticed that when agitator moves back and forth in wash cycle, it hesitates a bit and eventually F51 shows up. What could be the cause of this error ?

Loose bolt at bottom?

How do I get to the center bolt?

Al, Tilt the washing machine forward until the back pads are about 6" off the floor. Block in this position. The nut is in the center on the bottom. I used an allen bit to tighten. I believe it was a 1/4" bit. Hope this helps.

My error code was also F51. I simply unplugged the washer, leaned it forward and blocked it up. I then simply tighten the center bolt at the bottom with a 1/4" allen wrench. It was really loose and took several turns to tighten it. Then I tried a test load and everything worked perfectly. Thanks for the info John Harrington. It took only about 5 mins to resolve after reading you post.

I have this issue as well but the center bolt keeps backing out. Can I use Loctite on it?

Thanks to you all for the bottom center bolt fix. Saved us all hundreds I’m sure

Mine only got about 29 minutes into a wash and was agitating when it stopped. It’s full of clothes and water, how do I get the water to drain so I can tilt it??

Its been awhile since I've had to work on the machine, but it does not make me sad. Shut the machine off and make sure it is off, no lights, no sounds etc. Turn the wash cycle dial to spin manually. push on the power button and see what happens. If nothing then it could be several things that have broken the continuity (electrical). If the machine starts it will start in the spin position if there is power to the machine. Do the simple stuff first. trial and error to see if you can get any kind of motion or error signals. If nothing happens push power off and unplug. you will spend ten minutes scooping water out and another several minutes soaking up what could not be scooped. let it dry or towel it. Now you can check for any lose wires in the console on top. look it over real good. Sometimes taking things apart moves things( ??? ) enough to set them right. I have experienced that several times so I never figured out what I fixed.

In the event you have to remove the tub try this strategy. I removed the tub in 20 seconds. I found all kinds of stuff under the plastic filter.

https://youtu.be/m7rfpFhIcX0

Mike will be eternally grateful.