My lawn mower will start for a few seconds then dies.

this is a 4 hp KGRO Power Pro with a Tecumseh engine TVS115 or 56045B. It has a quick start primer on it. Plenty of gas, good spark, just won't keep running. Please advise. Thanks.

I found on my mower the gas was old. Drained tank and float can , fill with fresh gas zoom. Also the gas with alcohol very hard on small engines mainly trimmers, some gas treatments like STA-BIL have a alcohol treatment, it is the blue one

The problem is in the carburator.

You need to clean the carb thouroughly with spray carb & choke cleaner. You need to purchase a kit #631021B from a Tecumseh dealer.

When you take the fuel bowl off, notice about a half inch above the bottom of the pipe leading down into the bowl, there is a very small hole located in the threads that the bowl retaining plug was removed from. That hole is the Low Speed Jet and needs to be cleaned using a fine wire. I use a wire removed from a steel wire brush with a small bend about 1/4 inch from the end. Then use lots of carb cleaner in all the holes you see.

The neopreme seat where the inlet needle sits needs to be removed also. I insert a small screwdriver into the hole, taking care not to scrape the sides and give the old rubber seat a little twist, which loosenes it in the hole. Then a little shot of compressed air in the fuel inlet tube simply blows the old seat out. Use safety glasses & take care where you aim! The new seat has a little circle on one side and is smooth on the other. The side with the circle made into it goes into the hole first. It should come with an instruction sheet in the kit.

There is no vacuum advance or choke sensor on Tecumseh engines, so you don't need to worry about that.

Good luck!

Might also be a vacum advance problem or a choke sensor problem...

rebuilding is the right thing to do,but if you can start the machine put a little fuel injecter cleaner in the gas tank. start engine a few times and let sit over night. works 9 out of 10 times

Same problem as others with Craftsman mower w/Tecumseh carburetor starting up but not staying running for a few seconds or sometimes a few minutes. Discounted ignition as problem as it was clearly a fuel issue so tried all usual tricks of checking fuel cap venting / fresh fuel / standard carb rebuilding [float needle and seat] and cleanout all ports /vents / metering screw, etc as recommended by Chris on this forum. Still no joy and now clearly not fuel not reaching carb problem as plenty of fuel in bowl when removed. Finally figured it out. Mower had been sitting for winter after using gas with no stabilizer, but I couldn't find any deteriorated rubber goods until I looked up into jet tube [this is the tube into which the plug holding the fuel bowl on screws into]. About 3/8" inside that tube is a small rubber O-ring which the plug seals against when tight. It has to form a seal to keep pulling fuel through the tiny holes in the plug up into the jet tube and into the body of the carburetor. When mower has been running for a bit, too much air gets sucked in and stops fuel from being pulled up into carburetor. I changed out the tiny O-ring and problem solved. It is really difficult to get the remains of the deteriorated O-ring out. I ended up using a tiny jeweler's screwdriver and digging it out in pieces making sure none of the pieces plugged up anything else. Just makes me realize how important it is to use gas without alcohol (even if expensive) or some type of stabilizer to prevent the alcohol from damaging rubber goods.

How about the stater coil?

On most gas engines there is a sensor on the main gas supply line that measures the air to gas mixture. When this devise starts to get old it thinks that there is not enough gas and applies more gas to the air/gas mixture flooding the engine with gas.

-Me-

Score -1

So how do you fix this problem

Rob will be eternally grateful.