Fourth generation iPhone. Repair is straightforward, but the front glass and LCD must be replaced as a unit. GSM / 8, 16, or 32 GB capacity / Model A1332 / Black and White.

Why does my iPhone charger only have red, green, and white?

So my iPhone charger cable was broken, and i attempted to fix it myself. I opened the case and found the little green platform (don't know what does are called) which has label of W, G, R, and B. I figured those stand for White, Green, Red, and Black. However, when i cut open the wire from the middle, I found only 3 wires. Red, White, and Green. Since I also wanted my charger to be charge only, I searched online and figured that I only need the red and black cabled. BUT I CAN'T FIND THE BLACK CABLE ITSELF! Other than the red, green, and white, I also found 4 bunches of ultra thin wire grouped together. Are those the black cable's inside?

Can anyone tell me how to plug/tape the wires into the green platform so my iPhone would charge?

Thanks.

Alex, interesting little project. How about you post some images of the circuit board (green platform) and your cable and let us see what you see. Use this guide Adding images to an existing question to add images.

Most Helpful Answer

buy a new charger Save you any bother

TL-DR: Don't be cheap, buy another cable and even better get one that is good quality

As above, there are three colored wires (Green, white and red) and additional unwrapped thin wires in the bundle. All of it is wrapped in foil, a braided sleeve and the rubber on the outside. If you're looking to power a device - you need the need the redish orange wire and the loose wires, the loose thin wires can be twisted into a cord and soldered in place. This info is useful you want to power a device if the connection (the female cable connection shorts) . . . I directly connected an LED light, for example. . .

The extra thin wires are the black wire with no insulation I had the same problem I just wrapped the part I didn't want striped with some electrical tape. Your welcome

White is a data cable that is on positive volts .

Green is also a data cable but lives with the negative.

Red is hot.

You have a weaved wire that should be on the out side of the cluster of wires that is housed in plastic thus being your ground or 4th wire

Alright bro if your really trying to do this and just want it to charge you just need the black and red wire. If you want it to exchange data or download something off a different device your going to need the white which is the positive data wire while the green is the negative data wire and those above which I listed(black,red). Just make sure you connect those wires to the correct corresponding mounts or you'll short your it out

Just make a ground if you can't find it

I just opened a USB “C” cable because I just needed the other end to plug into a cigarette lighter for power. To my great surprise, no black wire. Red, Green, White and nothing else. So the Red is the power, normally 5 volts. Since there is no black wire you have to use the shield which is usually wrapped around a piece of foil. This is the equivalent of “Black” and at some point connects to pin 4 of the USB cable. Green & White are data wires.

I have soldered two cables like this: red to red and black to the shield (as you reccomend). When I plug in, iphone opens but does not charge. .Can you pls explain why ?

Blk goes to grnd

V D+ D- G

red white green black

V T X G

also seen it that way

red to V blk to G

repaired chords make horrible data cables buy

a tier 1 chord for that.

Alex will be eternally grateful.